Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Is Wantting To Due Updates Everytime I Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 canadianparents

canadianparents

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

For about two months now give or take everytime I go to shut down my computer it says that there is windows updates. I have gone to the main site to see if there is an update and many times there is not. When I do click ok to do the updates sometimes the next time I turn on my computer it will do desk checks and a couple of times I have gotten a screen where I can change things I belive like time and other things. With the desk check lately even when I do not press ok for windows to do updates it still comes on like every other day and once in awhile my computer will shut down and restart and do a desk check.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

Without knowing anything else, I would run chkdsk on the system, using the Graphical Version procedures as detailed at XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

When options are presented, be sure to put checks in both the "scan" and "recover" boxes.

Reboot the system, let chkdsk run to completion. It should reboot (IIRC) upon completion.

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

Louis

#3 canadianparents

canadianparents
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

Ok so I tried the first step you gave me and got this message Cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? Y/N. I said yes then restarted my computer nothing came up tried again got the same message. Did the seconed thing you said to do it ran the check and it came up with this system1/_Restor1/RP4001/Snapshot/_R017D~1. Now my windows update is still comeing up when I go to shut off my computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users