Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Really Have To Pay To Fix Dll Errors?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 huntersmome

huntersmome

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:49 AM

OK, so i posted a bit ago about some problems and got a few things i think straightened out or at least they seemed to work better...

Now, i have (and knew i did) some DLL errors and such. I did a scan with RegCure to see what was up and it found 184 errors!!! YIKES! The thing is you cant fix them until you register and pay the fee, so im wondering if there is some place that you cand do this for free?

Im running Windows ME. Thanks so much
Kelly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:00 AM

Well Kelly I treading on thin ice for what I'm about to say. This forum doesn't like any mension of registry checkers/editors. I've been using RegClean for about 10 years and CCleaner for 2 years and there registry cleaner works perfect and doesn't cost anything, do a web search. Other than that you pay RegCure to use their program, the choice is yours. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 huntersmome

huntersmome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

Sorry, lol! I guess i didnt realize that! Forget i asked!!! Thanks!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

Well Kelly I treading on thin ice for what I'm about to say. This forum doesn't like any mension of registry checkers/editors.

Yes you are. However, lets be completely accurate about why we here at Bleeping Computer avoid recommending Registry Cleaners. Registry cleaners are a high risk, low reward tool in the hands of those who are not knowledgeable about the workings of registries. If they are to be recommended the one posting about them is 'strongly encouraged' to post warnings about possible damage and rendering the computer inoperable. As well as mentioning that use of a registry tool should ALWAYS be preceded by backing up the registry before proceeding. Which you often neglect to do. And which I have advised you to mention in your repeated advocacy of registry tools.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 alan1000

alan1000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:30 AM

Couple of thoughts by way of postscript (and maybe raise a few eyebrows!):

(1) Assuming what you did was a full registry scan, and this was the first time, 184 is a surprisingly low number and implies a healthy registry.
(2) If you do decide to carry out registry scans, you may as well run at least two or three different scanners each time to get a proper cleaning job. This is because they search by widely different parameters, and find surprisingly few hits in common. Just before writing this, I ran 5 programs on my pc and found 379 redundant entries, only 140 of which were detected by more than one program!
(3) Don't use just any old shareware or freeware. Stick with professional-grade scanners which are written for a corporate market but free for personal use (eg Advanced Windows Care, or Glary Utilities).
(4) Do not use any options which offer to "optimise" your modem settings, "dramatically cut" bootup time, etc. These really can be dangerous.

(If your problems really relate to missing DLL files, and you know which ones they are, you can download free replacements from www.dlldll.com).

I respect the forum's views in the matter, but I think registry cleaning does have a value. Not by removing bloat, as is so often claimed - redundant entries seldom or never exceed 1% of the total anyway - but by removing the occasional toxic entry which might be preventing clean shutdowns, provoking spurious error messages, or worse.

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Let me throw in that I have seen several systems destroyed by that particular program (RegCure).... it might not be such a good idea to use it.

In this respect I agree with Animal :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hello, alan1000

I respect the forum's views in the matter, but I think registry cleaning does have a value. Not by removing bloat, as is so often claimed - redundant entries seldom or never exceed 1% of the total anyway - but by removing the occasional toxic entry which might be preventing clean shutdowns, provoking spurious error messages, or worse.

That's not how registry cleaners operate. Registry cleaners typically only remove "orphaned" entries from the registry. Such entries don't do anything at all. The "Occasional toxic entry" is not going to be affected by registry cleaners. Also, how does such an entry get there in the first place?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

If you respect the forum's view of registry cleaners, then we should not be seeing a post such as the one you just posted
Seeing how the OP has not responded in a few weeks, this topic is closed. If the OP wants it reopened, they can PM a moderator

Edited by garmanma, 17 June 2008 - 07:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users