Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Announces Customization of BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

Blue Screen of Death

In a surprise announcement today, Microsoft President Steve Ballmer revealed that the Redmond-based company will allow computer resellers and end-users to customize the appearance of the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), the screen that displays when the Windows operating system crashes.

The move comes as the result of numerous focus groups and customer surveys done by Microsoft. Thousands of Microsoft customers were asked, "What do you spend the most time doing on your computer?"

A surprising number of respondents said, "Staring at a Blue Screen of Death." At 54 percent, it was the top answer, beating the second place answer "Downloading XXXScans" by an easy 12 points.

"We immediately recognized this as a great opportunity for ourselves, our channel partners, and especially our customers," explained the excited Ballmer to a room full of reporters.

Immense video displays were used to show images of the new customizable BSOD screen side-by-side with the older static version. Users can select from a collection of "BSOD Themes," allowing them to instead have a Mauve Screen of Death or even a Paisley Screen of Death. Graphics and multimedia content can now be incorporated into the screen, making the BSOD the perfect conduit for delivering product information and entertainment to Windows users.

The BSOD is by far the most recognized feature of the Windows operating system, and as a result, Microsoft has historically insisted on total control over its look and feel. This recent departure from that policy reflects Microsoft's recognition of the Windows desktop itself as the "ultimate information portal." By default, the new BSOD will be configured to show a random selection of Microsoft product information whenever the system crashes. Microsoft channel partners can negotiate with Microsoft for the right to customize the BSOD on systems they ship.

Major computer resellers such as Compaq, Gateway, and Dell are already lining up for premier placement on the new and improved BSOD. Ballmer concluded by getting a dig in against the Open Source community. "This just goes to show that Microsoft continues to innovate at a much faster pace than open source. I have yet to see any evidence that Linux even has a BSOD, let alone a customizable one."
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

:flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :thumbsup:
omg thats too funny

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

Nice 1!!!

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

Long awaited and anticipated, so it's finally here at last.

I can't wait to customize mine to show a random display of
Knowledge Base articles. Gee I wonder if I can get them with
custom "go to top of page" non-functional links and True-Type fonts?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:29 PM

Scarlett

You are too cool! I love it!

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:47 PM

Boy oh boy. I sure can't pull the wool over you all's eyes. This started out to be a April Fool's joke. A half-hearted one I'll admit. But as soon as Raw replied, well... the proverbial cat was out of the bag. I was kinda hoping someone would fall for it. :thumbsup:

You guy's are to smart. :flowers:

Oh well, there is always next year. :trumpet:

Edited by scarlett, 01 April 2005 - 10:48 PM.

Posted Image

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:00 PM

:thumbsup: B)

:inlove: :P

:flowers: :trumpet:

:cool: :)

Finally a way that allows us to make the "blue screen of death" more pleasant... lmfao

edit: limit of emoticion? wtf? 8-12 (is the limit) I like emoticions, couldn't they make it like 25? plz... :)

Edited by yanowhiz, 04 April 2005 - 01:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users