Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Japanese Vista Internet Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ekearney

ekearney

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hey!
I'm living at a school in Thailand where we get satellite internet. I simply have to plug the ethernet cable into my PC to connect to the internet. Other visitors have had no problem connecting to the web.

My girlfriend has arrived with her Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista and when we plug it in we cannot access the internet. It seems to recognize that it is connected to a network but we can't get it to connect to the internet. Vista runs in Japanese to make things more difficult. I've never used Vista before so I'm totally lost. She doesn't know a lot about computers so she isn't really able to translate it. We've tried for awhile to create and change existing connections but with no success.

I know that I'm not giving a lot of good information here but we aren't sure what to do. We also tried for awhile to change the OS language to English so that I could figure it out, but I'm not sure if that is possible.

All other PCs(running on XP) can connect without any configuration. Why would her computer not recognize the connection? Is this a Vista issue?

Thanks a lot!
Emmett

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:59 AM

While I'm not sure that this is the issue, you can try this to see if it lets you connect. It's a "workaround" designed to cope with hardware that isn't Vista compatible.

1) Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag for all the network adapters on the system (both wired and wireless) by using this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
2) Disable IPv6 on all network adapters (by going into the properties for each adapter and unchecking IPv6)
3) Disable the IPHelper service in services.msc
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ekearney

ekearney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:37 AM

Hey thanks for the help.

It was an ordeal trying to do all of that in Japapanese but it seems to have worked! We were just at my friend's restaurant using her wireless and after implementing your suggestions we still couldn't connect, but we've just come to another spot, plugged in the ethernet cable and its working! So now we have the wireless issue, but that can wait awhile, thanks!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:39 AM

If it works on wired, but not on wireless - there's a chance that the fix didn't take for the DHCP Broadcast Flag.

When following the instructions for the DHCP Broadcast Flag, you'll notice several GUID's under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ key (my system has 3)
One of the keys is for your wired connection, one is for your wireless connection, and I'm unsure of the 3rd one.
You must perform the changes detailed in that article on all 3 of those GUID's

You'll also have to disable the IPv6 for both the wired and wireless network connections.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ekearney

ekearney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

Thanks. Actually I hadn't changed the middle GUID because it was basically empty. I did that just now.

So when I last reported we had gotten it to work in the town on a wired connection but not on the wireless. I haven't had a chance to attempt the wireless since changing the last GUID.

More importantly when we came back here to our school it didn't work. I was surprised because our internet at school is not wireless and it had just worked in town. I've changed that last GUID, checked your other 2 suggestions and restarted. It still doesn't work.

Anything I should check or anything else to try? Also I'm having trouble dealing with Vista in Japanese so if they're anything that you suggest that isn't easy to find without reading I'd appreciate a few simple directions(finding the properties for the internet devices to change the IPv6s was epic, whereas in XP I could do it easily), thanks!

#6 ekearney

ekearney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hey I'm sorry if this is vague but I'm out of my element here. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users