Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stratomaster

Stratomaster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

Help. My father in law bought a Dell computer at Wal-Mart. I didn't think to write the model number down but here's what happened to it. He was working on it and the computer froze up. He turned it off and then powered it back on. The Dell screen came up then it came up with the following:

No Boot Device Available
SATA 0 Installed
SATA 1 Installed
SATA 2 None
SATA 3 None

That is all it will do. After the Dell screen you can hear the hard drive start to spin then it stops. I'm not sure but I thought the hard drive may be trashed. That's why I put the topic here. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Greg (Stratomaster)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:07 AM

Personally I would take it back to Wal-Mart as long as it's under warrenty and get a new one. How long have you had it? When you say working on the machine you mean software wise?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 Stratomaster

Stratomaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. It's my father in laws computer and he records a lot of vinyl records to wave files and then makes cd's of them. He also plays a lot of solitaire so that was probably what he was doing. I'll ask him if it's under warranty or not. Do you have any idea what the actual problem is ? Thanks.......Greg

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

I don't know what happened when the system froze...but turning it off may have corrupted the MBR.

The first thing is check all connections to/from the drive. Then I would see if I could get into the BIOS/Setup...and ensure that the drive is properly detected there.

Then I would probably run two commands (sequentially) from the Recovery Console: chkdsk /r first...then fixmbr or fixboot. If chkdsk /r could not run to completion, I would run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive.

I would then retry booting.

If I still could not boot, depending on the error message...I would probably run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:25 AM

a friend of mine bought a dell from our walmart the ones on feature right now for just shy of 500. sayin the same thing to him he froze on youtube then it freaked out like you're sayin. forgot about it until just now. I'll ask him tonight if anything we threw at him worked or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users