Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Essentials

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 N_terst8

N_terst8

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

I searched and didn't find the exact answer I was looking for. When I use msconfig there is a lot of things from Toshiba that I don't know if I need to run or not. I'm trying to end all of the programs necessary to end. What are the programs that I NEED to have running so I don't crash my computer or anything. I'll show up a print out of what I have and what you think I need to leave running. Thanks for your help everyone...

BTW I have a Toshiba Satellite 215 or something along those lines. Its brand new so I'm trying to keep Vista running smooth. Also, what other tricks should I know to keep from Vista slowing down my computer too much.

Thanks

Steve

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

From the screenshots I can't determine what the items are (because the columns are too narrow).

A better tool (IMO) for managing startups is Windows Defender (msconfig is designed as a troubleshooting tool, not as a startup manager).
Go to Start and type in "Windows Defender" (without the quotes) then press on Enter
Click the Tools menu, then click on Software Explorer. That'll list your startups in great detail.

Then, check the Bleeping Computer Startup List at the top of this page (or click this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ ) to see if you think it's necessary. If not, then you can disable it (don't remove it yet) - that way you can re-enable it if you find that you need it later on.

Also, here's a much more detailed, free startup program manager - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:34 AM

hi,,,, as a rule i just have my security pinned to start up on 4 pc's,,, everything else you can start manualy when you want to use it by using the desktop short cuts or starting it from all programs,,, the 2 programs i have pinned are Avast and Superantispyware Full version,,,, everything works fine. A lot of the things on your start up are usally updaters for some of the software you have installed,,,ie ,, java, adobe etc,,, they will look for newer versions of what you have installed,,, you can stop all these because they will look for updates when you use the program's anyway,,,, if your unsure follow Johns excellant advice and you cant go wrong,,,,,, good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 N_terst8

N_terst8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

hey thanks guys...

I'm no computer genious but I can't find any of the files on that link you gave... the one from this website.

I took a pic of windows defender and another of msconfig... What files do I need to run? I'll add the ones that I want to startup right away.

Thanks,

Steve

Attached Files

#5 N_terst8

N_terst8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

bump :huh: :huh:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

I have responded to your other topic. Please keep related issues together or it'll get too confusing to help.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 N_terst8

N_terst8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

Oh sorry :huh: I didn't realize they were related. But for this one... by looking at the screenshots... what do you think I should remove?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

Were these screenshots taken before you removed the fingerprint utility or after (from your other post)?

The fingerprint utility is a good example of what I've been referring to - if you delete something it may come back to bite you in the butt later on. Even if I make recommendations on what to delete - it's still only my opinion. DO NOT delete anything - only disable!

Presuming that you've selected the exact correct make, model, and operating system - then I'd guess (not having a Satellite to test this on) that the next to the last item on the second page of results would be your fingerprint stuff.

If you're asking for my opinion on what to remove, then you've gotta be more specific. I do not use a camera with my computers and have no clue if the Chicony taskbar applet is necessary for your webcam or for an external camera (just one example).

Here's my take on what to disable (using Windows Defender):
Messenger
CLIStart (graphics control center functions)
Google Desktop
Ltmoh (modem)
Toshiba Button Support
Toshiba Flash Cards
Toshiba Zooming Utility

No guarantee's here - if something doesn't work, then re-enable it.

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

hi,,, uncheck everything apart from your security,,, then just put back what you think you need,,, ie,, if you want your msn to start put the check mark back,,,, here's mine,,, i have just my security running on start up.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 N_terst8

N_terst8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:37 AM

thanks guys... i think i got everything i want running...

appreciate the help :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users