Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Has Weird System Error?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hellish

Hellish

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

The problem is my mom's computer is in my opinion infected. When accessing internet explorer 7 A system error box appears saying the machine is infected and suggests a download of an antivirus program. Obviously I hit cancel but the box re-appears untill the page is finished loading. However, this is not all. On Google and Yahoo! search (the only two i've tried so-far) There is a box saying i'm infected. The link directly above and below this box are misleading, and there is an advertisement to, lets just say, inappropriet videos.
I've seen the error message issue throughout this site, but no real answer to my concerns. I've run the "SUPERanti-spyware and Malwarebytes Anti -malware" to no real effect.
I'm currently posting from my PC but some background info on hers: Windows XP 64-bit, Avast Anti-Virus using real-time protection service.
If there is anything I can do to give more info I'll try but like I said the browser is annoyingly infected.

One last note, her browsers are (IE7, AOL Explorer, and AOL) I'm only getting the issue on IE7 and have not tried AOL but AOL Explorer is fine.

Please help me BC, I've followed this site for help before and you've never failed me, I'm at your mercy. Thank-you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

Hello have you run those tools as Administrator? Also did you scan with both Avast and SUPER from safe mode?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Hellish

Hellish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:27 PM

This may sound odd, but I cannot access Administrator. My mom's old friend installed her OS and he passworded the BIOS and Admin account so we could not access it. However, these two are no longer on speaking terms. Also, I've used MBAM and SUPER in safe mode to no success, and am currently trying Avast. Please note these are in the safe mode form of her user account, and not the administrator account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users