Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Firewall Pro Now Has A Toolbar?!?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:53 PM

I was looking around at FileHippo and apparently a new version of Comodo Firewall Pro is now out. I look at the change log, and... VOILA!!

* NEW! COMODO SafeSurf Toolbar built on COMODO Memory Firewall technology

That's suspicious should I ever see that. I opened the setup and looked at the license agreement. Here's what it says. I truncated part of it, and included the important parts.

UPON INSTALLATION OF THE TOOLBAR, THE FOLLOWING FEATURES WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR BROWSER:

SEARCH BOX is a toolbar to your Internet browser. The browser toolbar is customizable and will provide you access to Ask.com search results.

SEARCH ASSISTANT: This provides relevant links and results when your search request or browser address request is misspelled or incorrectly formatted.

In addition, an Easy Installer will be downloaded to install this software. It does not install any other software and is automatically deleted the first time you turn off your computer after installation of the above-described products.

NO REGISTRATION OR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS REQUIRED.

THIS PRODUCT IS NOT SPYWARE OR ADWARE. IT WILL NOT WATCH HOW YOU USE YOUR COMPUTER. IT WILL NOT COLLECT PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION. IT WILL NOT DELIVER POP-UP ADS.

THIS PRODUCT CAN BE EASILY UNINSTALLED IF YOU LATER DECIDE YOU DO NOT WANT IT. If you want to uninstall this product, click on the "Start" button; then click on the "Settings" button, then click on the "Control Panel" button, then click on the "Add or Remove Programs" button, then look for Ask Toolbar, and click on the "Change/Remove" button.

So. It looks like the Ask Toolbar. And anywhere that I see it's put as adware/spyware. However, in the big caps it says it's not spyware or adware.
I've seen lots of free firewalls and security applications (Webroot, ZoneAlarm, AVG, and now ths) have toolbars...
Anyone besides me have any thought on this? Frankly I'm pretty disappointed :thumbsup:
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:18 AM

I found the place where this is mentioned in the Comodo forums. Here is the link: http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/info_...r-t23164.0.html

Some relevant sections from the above: It is installed only on new installs, not with updates or upgrades. Person installing may opt out of the installation. (I wonder just how easy it is to spot that and refuse that installation).

There is another thread here: http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsa...n-t23124.0.html in which many of the posts, but not all, discuss the toolbar. I find it interesting that on page 5 of that thread that it is stated that CMF (Comodo Memory Firewall) technology is still in the development stage. It seems to me that if it is still in development, that it should not be offered in the full version of CFP (Comodo Firewall Pro) but offered separately as an Alpha or Beta in test mode only AND should not come with a questionable toolbar. Indeed, I see that they did and do have CMF as a separate product.

Elsewhere in their forums, I have read that their AntiVirus is still in development, yet they have incorporated a version of it with their Firewall.

Why, oh why, is nearly everyone heading in the direction of security suites?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

Thanks, Orange Blossom :flowers:

While that somewhat assures me that it's not like another of "teh eval toolbarz," I think I should lay low a while before getting it. The integration of both the memory firewall and BOClean sounds very useful, although the other security suites' toolbars seem to have absoutely no contribution to the safety of my browser :\

But still... why Ask.com... they are certainly most reputable for showing you things like Smiley Central and the other variations of adware... they must pay a lot for each install. People should always know to be smart and actually skim over what they're reading. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure :thumbsup:

I'm thinking they're including the antivirus because not enough people go for the beta. I would love to participate, except my computer has issues and refuses to recognize any installation requiring a restart >_<

Security suites probably provide excellent "all-around protection" although they're just stronger in one specific area than the other ones so people can be lazy and just install 1 thing. Easy way to make money, maybe?
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:24 AM

The integration of both the memory firewall and BOClean sounds very useful

Don't know where BOClean came into this. (Baffled look on face). BOClean is their AntiMalware program which is still completely separate.

From what I've read on the Comodo Forums, the Comodo Memory Firewall (not to be confused with Comodo Firewall Pro), has been a separate program, and it appears it is still available as such. The newfangled toolbar that comes with the latest version of Comodo Firewall Pro uses the tech. from that memory firewall, and users have reported conflicts between it (the toolbar that is) and the CMF.

Their AntiVirus is also available separately, but it is in fact labeled as a Beta. Yet, they have included that AV, or at least elements of it, in Comodo 3 versions. Users have complained that when attempting to submit files the AV portion flags, the Firewall part won't let them because the Firewall already recognizes the files and approves them. Definitely some conflicts between these two portions. If I were installing it, I would use only the firewall portion and not use the AV portion which does not have a realtime scan option when bundled with the firewall anyway.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:45 AM

Whoops, hehe sorry. They mentioned BO protection. It was actually Browser Objects, not BOCleaner :thumbsup:

New conflicting issues like these are bound to happen... one more reason that they shouldn't have added beta technology into an already stable release. I agree with you, beta and stable should be kept separate.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:54 AM

Actually, the BO in this case stands for Buffer Overflow.

The Comodo SafeSurf Toolbar protects against data theft, computer crashes and system damage by preventing most types of Buffer Overflow attacks.

from page 1 here: http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsa...n-t23124.0.html

Just goes to prove something that I always point out when tutoring. The first time you use a group of initials, spell out the words followed by the abbreviation in parenthesis like this: Bleeping Computer (BC).

Orange Blossom

#7 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

Doh, that's 2 tries! Of course it's buffer overflow that's the memory firewall's technology :thumbsup:

I'll remember to do that, thanks :flowers:

#8 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:14 AM

Hi Guys,

I am 3xist (Known as Josh123, 3xist & Josh) on the Comodo Forums. I am a Global Moderator there. I would just like to further explain about the Toolbar in COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.23.364.

There was alot off discussion with the COMODO Firewall developer Team & Melih (CEO), On whether COMODO Memory Firewall should be integrated as the FULL entire product, or just a "part of it". There are a few reasons why we didn't integrate the entire COMODO Memory Firewall & some info on the Toolbar too:

1. There are still some major bugs in COMODO Memory Firewall. If we integrated it fully in CFP 3, It would cause some problems relating to the integration work that took place. It's like transferring bugs into another product and realizing it!

2. COMODO Memory Firewall is "still under development", improvements, etc will be in the future, After this is completed, CMF will likely be fully integrated into CFP 3. Just so you all know... COMODO Internet Security is planned for the end off June, Which will intergrate the NEW CAVS 3 & CMF. So, yes Comodo are very busy at the moment.

3. SafeSurf Toolbar (Powered by COMODO Memory Firewall technology), IS NOT SPYWARE/ADWARE. Yes, We have seen users suspicious off this, Because Kaspersky & a few others I believe detected the Toolbar as Adware. It is False Postive (FP), & Like I said... FURTHER WORK NEEDS TO BE DONE.

4. You can opt out the Toolbar during installation. I believe my sticky at the COMODO forums was mentioned here, You do need to do a clean install to configure Installing relating the Toolbar to your needs (Not having it, or having it).

Regarding COMODO Internet Security, All off Comodo's products (Including CAVS 3, CMF, etc) Will still be, and WILL Be, available as a stand a lone product too. So user's can choose what they want, instead off the full security suite.

Just for further information... The SafeSurf Toolbar powered by the tech in CMF, is limited to BO protection (The Toolbar won't stop computer crashes for instances), The Toolbar only protects BUFFER OVERFLOWS in the Browser.

Some off you also might be wondering what the shopping button, etc has to do with Security- Better yet the Toolbar alone! Yes, COMODO's search Toolbar is powered by Ask.com (You CAN use it as a 2nd search engine- no harm!), If you buy products with it and search, Comodo will get some $$ and it will go towards the Development team! Yes, COMODO does sell SSL certs, and get $$ from that, But hey... This is just a small donation- After all- CFP 3 is is FREE, FOREVER.

To sum up: Development is still going on, full CMF will be integrated into the future, etc.

Thanks for you're time & If you have any Q's don't hesitate to ask here or PM me... :thumbsup:

Josh

#9 snipehunter

snipehunter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:48 AM

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the surfsafe tool bar, I must have glanced over the page talking about its install, and now that its in, I am having trouble removing it. Any help would be appreciated.

#10 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:54 AM

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the surfsafe tool bar, I must have glanced over the page talking about its install, and now that its in, I am having trouble removing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Go to Add/Remove programs look for SurfSafe Toolbar & Uninstall it. This will not affect your CFP 3 installation, as it is a separate add on.

Josh

#11 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hi, 3xist, I guess I can finally trust that it really is useful. Although I wouldn't be using the toolbar, I really do hope the Ask toolbar won't suddenly give you a Zwinky or emoticon download advertisement :thumbsup:

COMODO Internet Security

More security suites? D: But good to know that it'll at'll be FREE and available for individual download.

Thanks! :flowers:

#12 3xist

3xist

• Banned
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:43 AM

Hi, 3xist, I guess I can finally trust that it really is useful. Although I wouldn't be using the toolbar, I really do hope the Ask toolbar won't suddenly give you a Zwinky or emoticon download advertisement :thumbsup:

COMODO Internet Security

More security suites? D: But good to know that it'll at'll be FREE and available for individual download.

Thanks! :flowers:

Off course Free & stand a lone! :trumpet:

COMODO will never force anyone to install anything! (Like the OPTIONAL Toolbar). So no one should be suspicious. Please spread the word :inlove:

Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users