Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Line Networking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:32 PM

Does anyone have experiencing using power-line networking? I have a LinkSys Router(wired), and I was going to replace it with a wireless set-up. I noticed that there was the option of using power-line networking. I would assume I could connect the Linksys router to the power line network and extend it to another floor in my house without running cable. Any advice?
JC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:07 AM

This is rather old obsolete technology and uses hardware specially designed for it.
So dont be plugging in that Linky just yet LOL.

The hardware was fairly exspensive and was prone to poor thru put and was at the mercy of the condition of the wireing being used. old buildings seldom had good wireing and the further away you tried to go signal degradation was compounded epoentially.

Generally was used only in local LAN environments within one building or closely related buildings. Very problematic and unreliable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users