Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Xacti Media Files In Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuePLS

SuePLS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

Ever since I started using my new Xacti camera I have been having problems with my computer. First it refused to play the .mp4 files. Now I can't even browse the folders where I have downloaded the mp4 files. Although, I have been able to move them using DOS.

When I go to "my computer" to view files the window freezes whenever I enter a folder where there is an MP4 file. I have to ctrl alt del out of it. I am also having problems with graphics now in Word and Outlook. I have tried to upload files onto my myspace page too but the browse image function will also freeze.

Recently I tried to "save as" a graphic in an email and Outlook froze.

I am albe to surf send and receive emails but this graphics problem persistes. I've run virus software and have gone to microsoft.com to get all the latest XP and Office updates but I am still having issues.

The problem is persistent with the Xacti files but not limited to these files.

Please let me know if this problem sounds familiar or if you ahve any ideas on what could be happening.

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Home Addition version 2002 Service Pack 3
I am also using Microsoft Outlook and Word 2002

Thanks in advance,
Sue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-are-MP4-Fil...?&id=360187

I suspect that you don't have proper codecs installed for .mp4 files...or your version of WMP is rather outdated or corrupted. Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling WMP?

Also...if these files are protected by copyright nuisances...you will continue to have problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

...and the files may be corrupt...you might have bad sectors on the hard drive where the files are stored...you can try running chkdsk /r or the Graphical Version of chkdsk on the partition where these files are stored.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Louis

#3 SuePLS

SuePLS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:43 AM

Louis,

"I suspect that you don't have proper codecs installed for .mp4 files..."

You are exactly right. I ended up going to Microsoft.com for a technical chat this afternoon. After downloading Service Pack 3 I found free help. They took over my computer and worked on it for 3 hours! There were several false fixes but I can now browse and play my mp4's that I took with my Xacti camera. They downloaded a codec at the following link:

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

I think they clicked on this link on that page: "Download [ K-Lite Codec Pack 3.9.0 FULL ]"

Thanks again for your help.

Sue

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users