Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Mobo Windows Wont Start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

so i just installed a new d845HV, and it wont load windows xp home sp2...it gets to just before where the windows logo would be and the blue thing would cycle through that bar thing...anyways, it comes up with the whole windows couldn't start, and it gives you all the choices and counts down from 30..you know the drill...

I have a feeling -now i am just spitballin here- that it has to do with something with the drivers for the new motherboard, because I didn't do anything with them yet....it should come on a cd, but i bought this used, and have nothing...

I know it has to do something with the mobo, considering that I put the older one back in and windows boots....

any thoughts be free to post them

thanks
ph7ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamieH

JamieH

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

When you replace a mainboard on a Windows PC, you need to reactivate Windows.

Damn Microsoft......

#3 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

So you mean like reinstall it...would I be able to do that on another hard drive or would i have to back my other one up first, becuase I do have some files that I want to keep...backing up won't be a problem...just put the other mobo in really quick and put my external up to it, and copy it usb 2.0...7 gigs will only take maybe an hour....

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

Just to verify what you are doing. You installed a new motherboard. Are you using the original hard drive with the OS already on it? If that is the case, you will have nothing but headaches
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

nope, I'm am replying from the new mobo with all of my settings and files and programs still exactly the same...Thanks for your help guys...

what I did:
-Put the Windows installer disk
-Pressed like enter or whatever is to install Windows Xp
-It scanned for previous windows, and It said that "a previously installed windows Xp is damaged, press "r" to repair it, and i did, and it just reinstalled windows by replacing the previous files that depended on the mobo...It kept the settings files apparently, because it even kept my custom avatar thing for my username...

Anyways thanks for the help from everybody...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users