Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Sceen Of Death

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sleath

sleath

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

i was reading through anotherforum on this site and followed the tips on how to speed up xp. i changed two numbers in the reg edit from 0 to 1, this was supposed to free up some ram but now i can only get the BSOD and cannot access windows. is there anything i can do. any ideas would be a great help. thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

Hello sleath,

Could you be more specific on what registry key was changed? and some more information on the BSOD?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 sleath

sleath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

4. In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Session Manager>Memory Management and double click on DisablePagingExecutive and change the value to 1. next change the value of LargeSystemCache to 1. LargeSystemCache forces the operating system to allocate all of your RAM cept 4 MB as filesystem cache, and the 4mb left are used for diskcaching. DisablePagingExecutive restricts the core aspects of the OS from being sent to page file, and stored on RAM instead, which makes XP more responsive. OF course your gonna not have as much free ram, but if you have a decent amount installed(512+), this should not be a problem.a good way to see the effects of these tweaks is to fire up one of the microsoft office programs such as Word or Powerpoint, completely close it and then launch it again. IF the tweak worked properly the program should launch VERY fast. but dont forget to restart windows after registry changes or they wont take effect.

those were the instructions i followed,so it was the - DisablePagingExecutive
- LargeSystemCache

does that help? also the BSOD shows the error code:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x81F25900, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

i know now i shouldnt have messed with it but any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

#4 sleath

sleath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

is there any way to edit the registry before getting into windows? or from another pc/laptop? i changed two values and now get the BSOD, also if i changed them back would this cure the problem? thanks in advance

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

Try to boot up in Safe Mode...Start computer and continually press F8 until the screen comes up...Here you can choose to boot to the last good configuration (might work) or boot into Safe Mode....If you boot into Safe Mode select your user name and you should be able to make changes providing you know which keys you changed. Changing them back should cure the problem if you know for sure that this is what caused it...It probably did...

If it were me I would try the Last Good Configuration first though...Maybe even a system restore providing you have set restore points...

Edited by douglas martin, 23 May 2008 - 01:59 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

BTW, Try not to open up more than one topic on this issue...I see that you have another one here and you have replied into one more additional topic that someone else has started...Doing this will lead to some confusion between those that may be trying to help you...It's better to just have one for all concerned.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

The DisablePagingExecutive value set at 1 will stop parts of windows being swaped in and out of the RAM to the paging file. Does the system have more than 512MB of RAM?

You are correct about the LargeSystemCache, however the setting should only really be used for servers.

Can the system start in safe mode?
Can you gain entry to the BIOS?
Regards,

Alan.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

He has already opened up a new topic on this same issue which is going to lead in a lot of confusion...IMHO...

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

Hi douglas,
I have just mentioned that to the BC tideness forum they might close one topic to avoid confusion.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

Topics merged, please excuse the confusion :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

Try to boot up in Safe Mode...Start computer and continually press F8 until the screen comes up...Here you can choose to boot to the last good configuration (might work) or boot into Safe Mode....If you boot into Safe Mode select your user name and you should be able to make changes providing you know which keys you changed. Changing them back should cure the problem if you know for sure that this is what caused it...It probably did...

If it were me I would try the Last Good Configuration first though...Maybe even a system restore providing you have set restore points...

I have to agree with Douglas Martin.. If you can get into the F8 menu, and use the last configuration option, it may just work.

#12 sleath

sleath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

hello, i can access the BIOS but the computer will not boot in any mode, can i edit the registry withous accessing windows? or does anybody have any other ideas? thanks

#13 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

BSOD error codes??? Any additional information to help diagnose your problem would be helpful as we are not standing in front of your screen...You may try to insert your XP CD and try and do a repair install if it will let you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users