Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failed. Reboot And Select Proper Device...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jagtress

jagtress

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

Good day everyone,

Just when you think you've got a decent handle on fixing these blasted things it throws you a new loop.

From the beginning, I was talking with my brother through Yahoo on voice when the computer froze. (To this day I have NO IDEA why it's been doing that but moving on) Naturally, I rebooted my computer and was thrown an error message CMOS something failed. Essentially my techie friends told me that all I need to do is replace the battery.

Once we completed that feat, We would boot up the system and try going into safe mode (because the last thing it knew was that it froze. Thereby being a system error). It would get to the file Mup.exe and freeze right there. Usually this is the stage it takes its time, my brother and I decided to play on the playstation waiting. (He wanted to see if I remembered how to install Windows myself if I couldn't get into safe mode) So after we failed to notice for a half an hour, it's STILL FROZEN. So I reboot and try last good known configuration (which I knew LIKELY wouldn't work because a long while ago I have a virus, got rid of it and turned off the system restore. So I can't do that if that is what you might be thinking at this stage) Last Good known configuration fails to work too. It gets to the Windows XP screen with the loading bar at the bottom and freezes there.

Barring all else, I go with my brother to his place to take my stuff off my HDs (both 40gigs) and burn to DVD. Then I can baseline the drives risk free of hassle....Or so I thought.

We try and baseline them. Same thing, they freeze on boot, freeze on Mup.exe for safe mode, and still can't access Last Good Known Configuration because of the long ago virus.

OKAY, so I borrow an 8 GIG! (Imagine that) from my brother to install Windows XP Pro (which is what i'm running. No I will not go to crappy Vista and know nothing about Linux...) I go into the BIOS and change the boot to CD (Or make sure that is where it is) and the CD Rom light just blinks at me. So maybe it's dead! Fine, easy fix. Once again, brother to the rescue, loans me one of his spare drives. And it says "Boot failed. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device. Press any key when ready"

!!!!!

I'm going to murder this thing in about 5 seconds and buy a new POS that might actually work from time to time.

Specs are as follows:
Windows XP Pro
K7S5A Pro board
1.5 Gigs RAM (DDR though it does have slots for SD not that anyone uses that anymore *snickers*
I believe it's 900 Mhz

Tis all I can remember off the top of my head.

I will be keeping the POS because if it is fixable I can use it as a server computer or parts as the case may be and I may still get a new computer too. I'd still like a solution that way should I be hit with this issue again, I'll know what to do instead of bumbling around screaming at all computers death and threathening tossing them out the window.

Thanks everyone,
Jaggy. :flowers: :trumpet: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zahid Shaikh

Zahid Shaikh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

First of all check that your HDD and CD Drive is detecting in the BIOS or not....If both are being detected than set the First Boot Device To CD ROM, then pop in the XP Bootable Disc, and just install the XP :thumbsup:

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

The PcChips K7S5A and the K7S5A Pro are both known to suffer from "cheap" capacitors.

Cheap capacitors cannot hold the heat let alone the electrical stress that is placed on them. When they finally give up, the result is similar to this:

Posted Image

Have a good look at your motherboard in the vacinity of your processor and look for any capacitors that have the goop coming out of the top or even look like the top silver portion in the center of the capacitor looks like it has bulged up. That is a tell-tale sign of a motherboard gone bad.

Edited by techextreme, 17 December 2009 - 10:14 AM.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

You could try to do a repair install of Windows, that way you can still keep most the info thats on you hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users