Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Opinions Please Of Sp3

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Howdy,

I have not downloaded SP3 yet. I have read that it is causing some problems.

I recently had a new hard drive installed and a fresh install of XP Home, SP2.

Everything is running very smoothly and I hate to "rock the boat".

Do you folks feel that SP3 is something that needs to be installed at this time ?

Thank You for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

Xp Home, Sp2, IE-7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

Personally, I don't see any real need for it. I installed it and the only problem I've had is one of my wife's cheaper programs will not run now. No big deal, we'll just get another one that does work. But otherwise, I can't see any difference on my computer as far as how it runs or the other programs. I know it's supposed to be safer and have better protection but I can't see that when I'm on the computer. I'm not a real geek.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

I installed it last week-end and have not had any probs whatsoever......all my games work fine, anti-virus is fine, office programs all work as well.

BTW the computer is a dell 4700, 3gig P4, 1 gig 3200 memory, Nvidia 6200 graphics.

Edited by Wee, 23 May 2008 - 11:05 AM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

I have installed it on my system and have not noticed any real change in performance, it is just a load of hotfixes most are already available I believe.

I would say that SP3 is not as important to windows as SP2 was.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the replies !

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

I've installed it (without problems) on my two desktops, once via WinUpdate, the other via the downloadable redistributable package.

I also installed it on a laptop yesterday, via WinUpdate on a clean install...easy as pie :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

I've installed it (without problems) on my two desktops, once via WinUpdate, the other via the downloadable redistributable package.

I also installed it on a laptop yesterday, via WinUpdate on a clean install...easy as pie :thumbsup:.

Louis

Just confirming. I have installed it on two desktops with no problem. Sooner or later you have to do it to get updates. You get rid of too many updates and patches too. While installing give permission if Windows want to download something, to uninstall the old updates and patches or to update the drivers.

#8 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hello.

I installed it too without any issues. I don't think it's needed (or worth the few hundred mb of drive spave).

With Regards,
The Panda

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

If you used the admin install you gain about a gig in windows

that gig has some powerful looking features

that's not counting the download 316MB and then the extracted 500+MB
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

I too, have installed SP3 via the auto update and haven't had any problems at all.
In fact it seems to have fixed a couple of niggly little things that were happening, like the icons disappearing from my taskbar.
I will keep my fingers crossed!
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

I've installed it (at work) on around 10 systems and have only had one issue (the AMD/Intel drivers issue with HP desktops).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

Again, thanks for all the replies.

DaChew,

Could you please break that down into simple terms for me. The gig in windows part ???

Thanks,

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

Louis

Just confirming. I have installed it on two desktops with no problem. Sooner or later you have to do it to get updates. You get rid of too many updates and patches too. While installing give permission if Windows want to download something, to uninstall the old updates and patches or to update the drivers.

I think this is the big issue with SP3. Sooner or later we're all going to have to install it so we can continue to get updates. Automatic updates was nagging me so I figured sooner better than later and it went fine and I have had no problems.

#14 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

Might want to read This

#15 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Bicycle Bill for that Information.
I didn't install Sp3 yet because I don't think it's needed, it's almost the same as Sp2.

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 can cause your anti-malware programs to report the presence of Trojans and keyloggers that aren't there.
The false positives have blocked important system files in some cases, and in others they have misled users into reinstalling XP.

Espically people who use Spywaredoctor as their anti-spyware.

Comments on a PC Tools forum confirm customer reports that the company's Spyware Doctor program generates a false positive on systems with Windows XP SP3.

I suggust not install Sp3 if you use spyware doctor, or just switch to another anti-spyware program.

Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users