Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected But With What

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 just joe R

just joe R

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:00 AM

Computer was left on over the weekend and someone was apparently playing, so I walk in to a Blue screen that has a box that says

User Interface Failure

Contained in the box are two lines

The Logon User Interface Dll
C:\WINNT\System32\awgina.dll failed to load

Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL

The only option is Restart

I can get to safe mode but cannot sign on because computer keeps wanting to go out to the network to verify password and I am afraid to connect back to the network until virus is cleared is there a way to get past the sign on in safe mode and what virus may be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

I read your original post

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/147661/user-interface-failure/

what OS is the infected computer running and what security programs do you have installed?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 just joe R

just joe R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

the operating system is windows 2000

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

If you have any antivirus or antispyware/malware programs now would be the time to run a scan from safe mode
Chewy

#5 just joe R

just joe R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

Yes I would love to do just that however how can I sign on? I do not want to take the chance of infecting any of the other computers on the network and the only sign on screen keeps attempting to verify the sign on User name and Password. Is there a way to sign on to just this computer in Safe Mode without plugging on to the network? I can get to Safe Mode but have not been able to get past the log in screen of the computer by itself.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:24 PM

I had an older xp computer that hadn't been updated that I was working on a few years ago that I attempted to fix by going into safe mode with the internet disconnected, it would not even boot in normal mode when disconnected.

Several people told me to reload, I wasted a lot of time trying to fight the infection, I reloaded finally. I didn't bother with trying to run a repair disk.
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users