This infection spreads via flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drives. Flash drive infections usually involve malware that loads an autorun.inf
file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable). When the removable media is inserted, autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes another malicious file to run on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.
The infection also includes more malware files than newfolder.exe so lets be sure you found everything.
Please insert your flash drive. Hold down the Shift
key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to bypass the autorun feature and keep autorun.inf from executing automatically.
Please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix
in BC's self-help tutorial
"How to use SDFix
".-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt
. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
Please download MsnCleaner.zip
and save to you Desktop. (in addition to removing infected files, it will remove certain restrictions on your system often disabled by malware.)
- Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop. (click here if you're not sure how to do this) but DO NOT use it yet.
- Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8. To do this restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A boot menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
- Double-click MsnCleaner.exe to run the tool.
- Click the "Analyze" button.
- A report will be created after the scan and will be saved to C:\MsnCleaner.txt.
- If it finds an infection, click the "Deleted" button.
- Reboot normally and post the contents of MsnCleaner.txt in your next reply.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe
by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.
- Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
- The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
- Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
- Reboot your computer when done.