Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden/superhedden Files & Floders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nomercy

nomercy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

Using Win XP Pro SP2
I have turned off Sys restore.(To save HDD Sapce :flowers: )

Ystrday I got hit by newfolder.exe (trojen) (I removed it using Norton Antivirus.)
Now I found that Hidden files cann't b viewed in Explorer.exe .(I m using WinRar now)
I tried to edit reg values through regedit..but didn't worked.

Any solution?

I m also using XP Pro with SP1 as alternet OS (Only for Backup purpose).
I m able to view superhidden file there.

So I assume this hidden files n folders prob arised bcoz of trojen.
After fixing trojen problem continued in XP with SP2.
But at same time it's ok in XP with SP1..

I know it's not a big problem..but I wish to know how to overcome this problem ? :thumbsup:

Edited by nomercy, 23 May 2008 - 07:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,597 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:47 AM

This infection spreads via flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drives. Flash drive infections usually involve malware that loads an autorun.inf file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable). When the removable media is inserted, autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes another malicious file to run on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.

The infection also includes more malware files than newfolder.exe so lets be sure you found everything.

Please insert your flash drive. Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to bypass the autorun feature and keep autorun.inf from executing automatically.

Please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix".
-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.

Please download MsnCleaner.zip and save to you Desktop. (in addition to removing infected files, it will remove certain restrictions on your system often disabled by malware.)
  • Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop. (click here if you're not sure how to do this) but DO NOT use it yet.
  • Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8. To do this restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A boot menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
  • Double-click MsnCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click the "Analyze" button.
  • A report will be created after the scan and will be saved to C:\MsnCleaner.txt.
  • If it finds an infection, click the "Deleted" button.
  • Reboot normally and post the contents of MsnCleaner.txt in your next reply.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 nomercy

nomercy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •