Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopping Spam By Requesting Email Confirmation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nowthenbc

nowthenbc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:57 AM

I would like my children to be able to use email but I want to make absolutely certain that they will not receive any vulgar spam. I was once sent an email by someone and in order to reply I had to go through a confirmation process to prove that I wasn't just a spam generator. I have had a little search and found an example of it going by the name of Hubris. They have a clever keyword system that you can send out in an email so that replies will then be added to the whitelist, so long as the original email content is preserved in the reply. I can't really get to the bottom of how you use Hubris or how much it costs. I have emailed them. However, I was wondering if anyone would care to recommend a service that they know about? I wonder if there is a free alternative that anyone knows about?

Thank you

Edited by nowthenbc, 23 May 2008 - 05:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

will be interesting to see what others say on this but

I can see what you are 'asking' but.............think about this for a mo?

you get the first e mail set up 'decent' ..and the second.....

but NOTHING can prevent anyone sending a rude email

you could use mailwasher to check the emails on server ?

#3 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:47 AM

Have you tried Gmail? It has a great spam filter and you can link other email accounts to it. It also has many great features and with a gmail account, you can do pretty much everything else that Google has to offer!

#4 nowthenbc

nowthenbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

ruby1

You are right that no-one can prevent people from sending rude emails but we can ensure that rude emails can only be sent by someone prepared to sit there and manually reply to the checking email. I have only ever received rude emails from automated spam generators.

Ihamil64
My own googlemail receives an enormous amount of spam which is mostly identified, but not all. It also filters out some messages that I actually want. Obviously this is not news. It is not good enough for what I want for my daughters. I suppose that a straightforward white list would be a safe method but it would not be flexible enough.

I have been reading talk of BoxTrapper. Apparently some service providers have it available as an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users