Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Pages Do Not Display Properly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jlrpdx

jlrpdx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:30 AM

Web pages do not display properly with either IE7 or Firefox. I can connect to any website, but part of the page, will not display. I must have deleted something. Any suggestions out there? I'm using XP Professional, SP2. Had recently installed SP3 but uninstalled it as I thought maybe that caused the problem, but there was no change. I have attached a couple of screen shots to illustrate the issue I am having.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:37 AM

Usually when you see a blocked connection/cannot display such as the ones in your screenshots, it means that your Hosts file is blocking connections to flashy ads, web bugs, hijackers, etc...(the Hertz page loads the same way for me as well). The two entries in particular at the Hertz site that are being blocked are:

ad.doubleclick.net
hertz.122.2o7.net

Ads, such as those, can be a potential risk to someones computer simply by the connection being made to them while surfing the net . More detailed reading about what a Hosts file is & what it does can be found here:

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users