Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Power Supply For A

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:18 AM

What is your opinion on the Coolermaster extreme power plus 460W power supply (psu)?
I am specifically eying the RS-460-PMSR-A3 model #. Any opinions? Both good, bad, and neutral. What are your experiences with this psu? I want to purchase it because my PC is running pretty hot 50 degrees Celsius with my current 300W Bestec power supply. When equipped with the EVGA Geforce 7600gs video card. A card that requires minimum 350W of power and 18A of current. Will the Coolermaster of 460W and 18A current carrying potential on the +12V rail, be a suitable solution to my problem?

Additional Details:

I plan on using just one video card, specifically the evga 7600gs. As well as, a 300GB Seagate Sata hard drive, a dvd+rw drive, sound card, 1GB ddr2 memory stick, and the Asus motherboard.

Here is answer I received from another poster at another forum:

If you get a PSU that has gross excess capacity, it will just contribute to the overheating problem. A PSU is at its most efficient when loaded to 60-75% of its rated capacity (generates least waste heat in proportion to power delivered).

I think that 460W PSU will probably make your overheating problem worse.

When encountering overheating problems, you need to first IMPROVE YOUR CASE AIRFLOW.

And if you want to replace the PSU, choose one that is correctly sized for your system, and get an 80-Plus-Certified unit-- Those are better-engineered to meet the more stringent 80%+ efficiency standards and run cooler than plain power supplies. I recommend this 80-Plus-Certified unit for your system:

330W is already more than you will need for your config. That 7600GS draws a MEASLY 35 watts of power maximum, and the rest of your system probably can't draw more than 100W at peak anyway. With a 460W PSU you will only be loading it at 30%, which is grossly inefficient.

Is it true that I could get away with the 300W Bestec psu or should I take the jump to a more powerful PSU?

Links for details on my build:

My current PSU

Specs for my PSU upgrade to Coolermaster 460W Note that I read a review of it at hardwaresecrets.com; indicating that the peak power it operates at is 430W.

My HP computer out-of-factory specs

The evga 7600gs specs

P.S. I also did a calculation of power usage for my CPU at a site, recommended by one of the posters on BC, whom I cannot remember. Anyway, it gave me a reading of 290W at 85-90% use, when the 7600gs is installed, along with an extra DVD-rom drive, which I also want to get.

On Edit: Here is an older thread, where I ask a similar question. It also contains my motherboard specs, if you deem that important in forming your opinion on my situation. I know, I procrastinated upgrading my PSU for about a year now, due to school and such.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry618984

Edited by rsd79, 23 May 2008 - 02:09 AM.

Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:38 AM

I've heard Coolermaster is a good brand, I've never owned one so I can't give a personal view. But I've never heard of having to big of a power supply will cause overheating. I know people who bought bigger than needed so when they upgraded the PSU was already able to handle it. I recently put a Thermaltake 600W PSU into my computer, even tho the calculations said I only needed450W and have had no problems. So I say go for it.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:24 AM

Yeah, I never heard about problems with inefficient use of high-end PSU's, until now. I did not mention to the poster that I had an HP Pavillion a1520n, which is my fault; therefore, there may have been a misinformed opinion from the poster because of that.

#4 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:08 AM

I have encountered a dilemma, which psu do you think is better?

Coolermaster 460W RS-460-PMSR
has an 80mm fan
OR
Coolermaster 500W RP-500-PCAR
has 120mm fan

Newegg's averages indicate that the 460W version is better because it has 20% more 5-star customer reviews, if that even counts but I would like your opinion.

Edited by rsd79, 24 May 2008 - 04:08 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

What you should think about is what you need from a PSU, what kind of amperage are you going to required on the 12V rail comes into play with certain graphic cards, especially if you are using SLI or crossfire.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

What you should think about is what you need from a PSU, what kind of amperage are you going to required on the 12V rail comes into play with certain graphic cards, especially if you are using SLI or crossfire.

My video card, the evga 7600gs, requires minimum 350W and 18A of current. Both the psu's I mentioned can handle that load so I am thinking that I should get the 500W version because it has a 120mm fan, compared the 80mm for the 460W version. With that said, any opinions to offer? I think both could work, it just comes down to my preferences. Also I have read on other reviews that this PSU makes the case vibrate so I may also buy some rubber washers to alleviate that problem.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

For a little bit more you can get a Corsair 450VX that is a monster. Likely one of the most underrated PSUs as far as watts go.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

For a little bit more you can get a Corsair 450VX that is a monster. Likely one of the most underrated PSUs as far as watts go.

Yeah man, I was considering it but it is actually 2-3 times the price than the two coolermaster models I am considering. Reliability is nice but I am getting too good of deal to pass up for the coolermasters. The Corsair only has one +12V rail, isn't it better to have two +12V rails like in the coolermaster models?

Edited by rsd79, 24 May 2008 - 10:14 PM.

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:22 PM

I think Newegg had the Corsair for $59. As far as rails, I like single rail units, no worries about load balancing. Look at the total watts available on the 12V rail(s) when comparing PSUs.

Many PSUs are actually single rail units labelled as multirail units. It was an ATX standard to have no more than XX watts/rail so some are labelled as such.

Jonnyguru.com has a lot of good PSU reviews as well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#10 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

The cooler master Pro are better then the xtreme because there 80 plus cert. If your going to buy on i would just buy a good one. Go with that Corsair.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#11 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:35 AM

The cooler master Pro are better then the xtreme because there 80 plus cert. If your going to buy on i would just buy a good one. Go with that Corsair.

The Corsair VX450 and Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU's continue to become more appealing; however, I can get the coolermaster for a good deal in new condition so I am gonna take the chance for now. If I am not satisfied then I will probably end up with the Corsair or Antec model.

#12 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:03 AM

After all the delay, researching, and deal-finding I settled on an Antec Neopower 650W model. I concluded that it is worth the investment and this model has one of the best cost-performance ratios in the PSU market. Not only that but the 85% efficiency is very beneficial in many ways. I am going to install it tomorrow morning and give it a whirl.

#13 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

So I have finally finished installing my new psu and videocard. I have a question or two about the cpu temperature. Using the software program "speedfan" to check temperatures:

GPU: 49C
CPU: 32C
Ambient: 35C
Remote: 51C
HD0: 38C
Temp1: 40C
Core: 36C
Core': 50C
Ambient: 0C

Are these temperatures reasonable?

These temps were recorded during random browsing not while playing a video game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users