Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Slow At Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sorian

Sorian

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

It has been an ongoing problem and only now am I tired of waiting 10 minutes for it. I have ran Spybot, Defrag, AVG, and made sure it has all the newest updates and drivers (to my knowledge).

Any help would be greatful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:07 AM

You should check through all the programs that are set to run at boot. You'll probably find that you have quite a few programs set to run at boot that don't really need to. AutoRuns is good for this.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

FWIW: I just went through my first experience trying to clean a computer with viruses and assorted malware items (over 1,000), trying to assist a friend. What I learned from that is...system slowness is a basic indicator of such problems, even after removing all such malware, doing a repair install of XP, recleaning, reupdating, etc. Damage done to the system mandated a clean install as the cure.

My point? If you have had any known malware problems, please advise us of such. Thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 Sorian

Sorian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

My point? If you have had any known malware problems, please advise us of such. Thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

none, I have been lucky to not have been infected (one year I didn't have a virus scanner, then found AVG and ran a check with no viruses). Unless you want to include AVG thinking a new install of Unreal Tournament 3 is a keylogger.

I will look into the startup programs, I know people don't like to talk about registy cleaners, but I would like to know a good one, I have probable quite a few old entries in there.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

I would tell you a Registry Cleaner, however there has been many people say that: My computer is not workig after that registry clean...and such.
I would do what Budapest said. There are many programs that startup that doesn't need to be.
I have like 28 programs that startup, but actually only 5 or 8 were only needed to be on startup so I disabled it. I don't know whats wrong with my computer now but my computer has been running slow at startup as well.
Defrag at least once a month.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 Sorian

Sorian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

well, I don't need to worry about this anymore. My hard drive crashed and I am having to recover all my files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users