Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had Vundo Trojan, Processes Dying, Death And Destruction, Sos...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whit3nois3

whit3nois3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hey guysÖ good to be here. Iím hoping someone can help me out with my computer problems. I bought a brand new Dell a couple years ago and have always maintained it and took care of it with no problems and have kept it safe with Norton and Ad-Aware. Everything has always been good until a week and a half ago I found the dreaded Vundo Trojan on my machine (causes popups and unwanted ads, slow comp etc..)

To make a long story about my battle with this short, I deleted it a few times using Symantecís Vundo removal tool in safe mode and finally got rid of it (after a few times mind you!) and have since run full system scans and believe it is in fact gone, but pop-ups still pop up and now my Rundll.exe keeps crashing and now Userinit.exe crashes right away upon startup and all I get is my wallpaper screen but if I wait awhile it eventually comes back so I still have access to my files thank god so now Iíve been backing them all up because I think my comp is dying on me slowly and painfully. The Userinit.exe problem started after I used Spyware Doctor to remove 51 problems it found, which I assume is the result of Spyware Doctor deleting seeming infections. Also, it is important to note it isnít only Userinit and Rundll that crashes.. everyday it seems like a new background program crashes tooÖ which I assume is a domino effect from the other issues. I've also used Seek and Destroy too.

Iíve since tried a registry repair which hasnít helped.. so Iím resigning myself to the fact I probably just need to format my drive and reinstall Windows XP Home EditionÖ unless you guys can offer me some miracle to fix these .exe problems and get rid of the popup problem. Also take note, for some reason I have no restore points before last week (when I still had the Trojan) but even when I try to restore that, it says it failed. My System Restore tab is also missing so I had to follow the directions on how to manually do that in my registry, which I believe I did correctly because I was able to remove Vundo.

Iíve never used Hijackthis so Iím assuming you might need to see a log? Let me know if anyone can help me or if I should just go ahead and backup 70 gigs on DVDís and reformat! Thanks in advanceÖ

:/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:48 PM

Try running a full system scan in Safe Mode with SuperAntiSpyware. It can usually deal with Vundo.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 whit3nois3

whit3nois3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

Thank you I will try that, though I believe Vundo is gone. My main problem now I think is the exe files crashing on me. Hopefully your advice will get rid of the popups.... hmm

#4 whit3nois3

whit3nois3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:43 PM

Ok I guess I'll reformat then..! Thanks anyway

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

FWIW: Reformat is probably the best decision, IMO.

I just "cleaned" a friend's system that had this and assorted other malware problems. I used SAS to get rid of some, ran several scans with installed/updated AVG and Avira AV programs (separately), cleaned out malware in System Restore, did a repair install of XP (and updated thru everything short of SP3)...and still all was not well.

A clean install restored normal system speed and functioning.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:52 AM

As viruses become more and more complex, they become harder and harder to remove.
While I enjoy the challenge of trying fix things "elegantly" - not many people want to wait for the fix to be finished.

At work we offer a virus removal which will take up to 10 days to complete - or a backup, then wipe & reinstall in 2 days. Although the backup, wipe & reinstall is more expensive (about $30) and doesn't include a hardware diagnostic - most people will opt for it just so they can get the system back quickly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

John mentions wiping the hdd, this is a practice that I agree with. Formatting may not always get rid of the infections, wiping does. There are free utilities that you can download, like Acrtive Kill Disk.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users