Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sp3 Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Promicarus

Promicarus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

I neglected to mention in my previous post, (following), that SP3 doesn't show up on add/remove programs list

I've proceeded to delete everything related to service pack 3 returned by a search for "sp3", ie. everything that came up as having originated on date and
time of the failed SP3 update-

Then deleted the only entry in registry obviously related to SP3

Still same behavior...to "Windows" logo w/ dwnld bar, and approx 10 seconds later a blue screen w/ white characters flashes too briefly to make it out.

What about the possibility of downloading the SP3 update to a disk, then running it on the malfunctioning comp?
would overwrite/etc. be a problem

I'd downloaded serv pck 3 already, but downloaded it again, anyway, when it came up as an "express" download on msft download sit.
Goes through regular routine, to "Windows" logo, then about 10 seconds into logo (with "loading" bar), a blue screen with white letters flashes for just an
instant, too briefly to make anything out.

Didn't backup, and system restore happens to have been off for a long time (shut off when removing malware).

1.I used "mic updates" in "security", in the control panel, to access msft download site--same as always--don't have any reason to suspect malware
(performed zonelabs virus/spyware scan within previous 4 days).

2.Will start in safe mode, but not in "most recent settings that worked" mode.

3. I have spybot w/tea timer, which flashes warnings/ permission boxes that updates are changing regisrty, etc...must allow in spybot in order for change to
be made by the update--I did this before when downloading svc pk 3, and didn't have problems--this time, however, I left momentarily during download ,
and when I returned, installation was hanging up while waiting for me to allow a change. Don't know if this might have someting to do with it...

4. Tried uninstalling all spyware/security apps, but still fails to load, same behavior.

Q1. Can I just uninstall the svpk 3 download? How?

But i neglected to include an important point: Service Pack 3 doesn't show up in the add/remove programs panel....yes, that did occur to me.

I've proceeded to delete everything related to service pack 3 returned by a search for "sp3", ie. everything that came up as having originated on date and time of the failed SP3 update-

Still does same thing..to "Windows" logo w/ dwnld bar, and approx 10 seconds later, blue screen w/ white characters flashes to briefly to make it out.

What about the possibility of downloading the SP3 update to a disk, then running it on the malfunctioning comp?
would overwrite/etc. be a problem

Edited by garmanma, 22 May 2008 - 06:52 PM.
Added title (split from another post, I think)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hi.
Did you try uninstalling SP3 from the Registry?

Did you delete the entry related to Sp3 but did you uninstall it?
Remeber to Backup the Registry before editing or deleting anything.
To back up the registry entry. Right click the entry you want to edit/delete and click export. Save it somewhere handy so if anything strange or weird happens to your computer you can restore it.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Promicarus

Promicarus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Actually, I didn't uninstall the SP3 registry entry, I just deleted it.
Would it make a difference?
Is there any way to uninstall it AFTER having deleted it?

Many Thanks for the help

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

Hi to uninstall it go to Start>run>regedit.
When regedit opens navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder. In this case you want to delete SP3 so look for that under Uninstall. Once you locate Sp3 DON'T DELETE IT JUST YET. We have to backup the registry. to do that right click on the folder you want to delete and press export and Save it somewhere handy so if anything strange or weird happens to your computer you can restore it.
Now that you backed up the registry you can delete it by right-clicking on the folder and press delete.
Try downloading Sp3 and install it once more. Any help on Sp3 can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Quite honestly...I don't think that one can "delete" SP3 in the manner of deleting a program or file.

I was paying attention when my installs of the RCs and the final took place...and it seemed to me that various system files were updated as the result of SP3. To find each of those files...I think is beyond utilizing anything but XP's mechanism for undoing an installed SP.

I'd take a different approach and go forward with a straight install of SP3. Any files that may be corrupted now will be replaced.

...and I would do that from the network distributable version, not Windows Update.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users