Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa T

Lisa T

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

Please help- i have no idea what is going on with my pc. It randomly shuts down when you are doing seemingly normal things-internet, microsoft office, starting up- it will also not allow me to access cd/dvd rom drive and has stopped recognising usb ports. If you plug a usb flash drive into the pc or put a cd in I get a message saying administrator has prohibited access. It wont run a full security scan and i'm don't know how to fix it. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

When it shuts down, does it give any type of error message at all or does the screen just go blank?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Lisa T

Lisa T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:02 AM

I get no error message before it shuts down it just goes balnk and dies on me. It does immediately restart itself and then I get a message saying this system has recovered from a serious error.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:39 AM

Look in the Event Viewer at the times that this has happened and see what the errors are. Each entry has its own date and time stamp.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

Be sure that you choose System.

The error will appear in the far left column and will appear as a red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of them, the column that you want is the Event column. When you see an error follow it to the right across the page to the event column, there will be a set of numbers in there, this is the error code. If you right click on the error code a drop menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will contain a description of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

I have noticed that one of the possible effects of malware on a system...is the denial of valid access rights to valid users.

Louis

#6 Lisa T

Lisa T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

The error codes and descriptoin in the event viewer are:

Category(102)
Error code 1003

Description: Error code 00000050, parameter1 e2ed7000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 80539313, parameter4 00000001.

Lisa

#7 jmsb

jmsb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

have you looked into the possible though of formatting it? If that is too serious, you show try booting into safe mode by pressing F8 when the system starts up.

hope it helps.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

It could be a driver issue. Open Device Manager and click on all of the +'s. Look for red X's or yellow exclamation points. That will help indicated an offending driver

Another possible cause, according to Microsoft, is an infection of the sdbot virus
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897079
You might want to post HERE
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Lisa T

Lisa T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

Ignore that last post I trying the post by garmanma. Went into device manager and it's showing no sign of driver issues but the infection of the sdbot virus link on microsoft described the problem perfectly so I am trying that at the mo, thanks

Edited by Lisa T, 26 May 2008 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users