Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Routers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi,

I just built a new PC and I am thinking of Networking my old PC off of it.

I was wondering if you can't just use a modem "dual jack" instead of a router to do this?

Is there such a thing as a "dual" jack for a modem?

I mean like the dual phone jacks to run 2 phone lines off of.

Anyone know anything about this?

John

PS If this cannot be done does anyone one have a best recommendation for router? Wired? Wireless? Make? Thanks.

Edited by Johnz414, 22 May 2008 - 02:43 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

You can connect the 2 computers together using an ethernet "Crossover" cable. It goes from 1 NIC to the other.

However, if you still want to access the internet, you will need a second NIC in one of the computers.

Once the first one has an internet connection, it can be used to supply the connection to the second one.

You could also get a wireless router and then get wireless NIC cards for each unit and connect through the router to the internet or to the other computer.

I have the computers in my main house wired into a router while I have wireless in 2 remote locations. Wired is more secure than wireless as well as being faster.

Good luck.

DR

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

It should also be noted that a router makes an excellent hardware firewall for extra security.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

OK,

I've just purchased a 'wireless' router and a card and will probably end up just using that.

However, rigacci you said that cable is faster. So, what if I want to wire from one room to another, about 50'-75' of wiring.

How would I go about doing that?

I'd like to use wall jacks and run the cable through the attic here. It wouldn't be to hard.

I take it that "Crossover" cable is also called Cat 6 network wire. Are there wall jacks for this? And where would I get them, if there are?

The NIC is the regular Network Interface Card that I already use to hookup my PC to my modem?

Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Thanks.

John

PS And yes, security is always good.

Edited by Johnz414, 22 May 2008 - 04:16 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:22 AM

Yes, wired is faster than wireless but for most of us we will not notice the speed. Installing wall plates is the way to go. You could mark a location on the wall, cut a small hole and using a plumbers helper (fishing wire) you should be able to feed it up to the attic.

A Crossover Cable is NOT the same as Cat6. Cat6 denotes that it is for Gigabit signals to travel through the cable.

The crossover cable reverses a couple of wires so that each is getting the correct data. You could NOT use that crossover cable as a patch from 1 computer to the wall. It will not work; only works between 2 computers.

Yes, the NIC (Network Interface Card) is the one that is presently in there. Most motherboards come with them now but you can also install a PCI NIC or even a USB Plug-in NIC (Wireless no less).

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users