Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Filterpak

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xcr0okedx

xcr0okedx

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

I am using WinXP Professional 2002 SP2

Ok, here is the situation. I have Filterpak (filter7.exe) installed on my office PC but its pointless, annoying and useless. I have been thinking about just uninstalling it but i am not sure if the internet would work without problems after i uninstall.

I am going to uninstall it one way or the other

... so, my questions are:

Is there a specific method of uninstallation that should be followed?
Would uninstalling filterpak affect the internet connection?
What is the best method to backup settings so that i can revert in case of problems?
Would just setting a 'System Restore Point' suffice as a backup in case something goes wrong?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

If this is a software based firewall there shouldn't be a problem with un-installing it using the un-install utility that came with it or Add/Remove in windows.

The concern would be once it's no longer there you will not have any protection unless you enable the built-in windows firewall (which will protect most nasty things from going into your system but not things going out).

As far as your internet connection is involved, it would depend on how you are connected. If you are connected through a router or DSL modem you may have to reconfigure some settings (I don't know for sure).

The very least that you should do is set a new system restore point...That will help you in case something goes wrong.

If you do remove your firewall I recommend stocking up on good anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and keep them running and updated.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

"The FilterPak cannot be modified or uninstalled except by the administrator of the account, which has full administrative control. This type of security ensures that users cannot bypass the filter."

From http://centipedenetworks.com/filterpak_overview.php

Louis

#4 xcr0okedx

xcr0okedx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

thanks ...

i uninstalled with no issues