Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-spyware Im Using...is It Enough?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

Well, i have been reading through a couple of posts and noticed that there is a lot of stuff about anti spyware so i thought ill ask about something Ive been wondering about. In one of the posts i read, it mentioned something about overlapping. What i mean is that it was talking about the fact that no one anti spyware can guarantee an absolute coverage against all viruses and stuff. So it suggested to get a few to overlap each other(i think thats what it meant).

So i was wondering if any one can help me with my anti spyware programmes. I currently have
a)AVG 7.5 (paid version)
b)Spybot search and destroy
c)Ad-Aware 2007

So based on what was said about overlapping, i was wondering if what i have is alright. Should i
a)Add any more programs?(but i dont want TOO many)
b)Replace any programs

Or does anyone have anything else in mind? Also, no matter what happens, im not going to be removing the AVG cause my dad bought it and will lecture me if i remove it...hehe...

Futhermore i have been starting to use online scanners such as
a)Kaspersky Lab
b)BitDefender Online Scanner

Now about Kaspersky, it doesn't remove anything it finds(sadly) but i feel that it does a very powerful and thorough scan. BitDefender is not that thorough but it removes anything it finds.

Also i basically only use freeware(other than AVG), so if anyone has any suggestions on freeware please do tell.

Oh yeah and i was also wondering if having too many programmes will slow down my computer.

So yeah, i hope someone can direct me in the best way or best combinations of programmes to use to get the best. Of course i acknowledge there is no 100% full proof way. As they say the only full proof way is to unplug your computer. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much!

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlchemicEND

AlchemicEND

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

You could add these:

SUPERAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SpywareBlaster - Direct quote from their site, " Prevent the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software!".
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

What you have is enough: 1 AV and 2 AS applications, especially since you use on-line scans if the occasion warrants. I used to be a major fan of Ad-Aware until they updated it; you could easily swap both it and Spybot with the two recommended by ALchemicEnd. Since you are somewhat cautious in your browsing and downloading habits, one AV and two AS should be enough, especially if you have a good firewall and use a non-Microsoft browser.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:19 AM

that's exactly what I'm using too ;) + zone alarm firewall

I think it's enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users