Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Mouse

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

I back dated my comp using systen restore. Since then my usb mouse doesn't work. In device manager it shows as having an error. I tried updating the driver but it keeps asking for a program called Amuninst.exe.I tried googling to download it, but most sites state it as maleware or spyware.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

p.s. I have posted this on some other sites I hope that's ok.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

is it a kensington mouse?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

What was the problem that prompted you to do the system restore?

If this is a usb mouse did it come with a CD for the drivers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

Amuninst.exe is listed as being mostly an un-install program...I agree with dc3, find the drivers for the mouse with the original CD or Floppy.

Edited by douglas martin, 22 May 2008 - 10:27 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

I haven't any disks to use.and there are no manufactors names on the mouse. It was given to me by a friend last year. I then simply plugged it in and windows found the driver. Now when i uninstall it and try to reinstall, windows askes for the file Amuninst.exe. I did have some success in finding the file and directing windows to it, but it then askes for the cd.
I restored the comp because I was having trouble with AVG anti virus but that's all sorted now.
I could go and buy a new mouse, but thet seems a bit defeatist :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help so far.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

Well if you don't know the manufacturer let's try and find out whom it is...Download SIW...It will tell you a lot of valuable information about your system.

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Download the version with the installer.

You have tried to un-install the device and reboot to let windows find it, right?
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

Usually all that SIW or Everest Home Edition will show is that is a PS/2 compatible mouse. I've not seen them describe anything further than that.

Is the BIOS configured to recognize the USB mouse?

Edited by dc3, 22 May 2008 - 12:42 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:50 PM

Go into Device Manager and right click on the mouse. Select Properties, then select the Details tab
Scroll down to Hardware ID in the dropdown box.

There you'll find a VID_ and a PID_ - there's 4 characters just after the _ for each of them. Let us know what they are and we'll use that to look up the USB device ID's for that device (if available).

For those interested, the first link that I search for the VID_ and PID_ numbers that Manshead will provide is: http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users