Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choppy Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VCS

VCS

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:10 AM

My computer ran just fine up until about a week ago, it just started getting real choppy and running slow. Any video or audio I play on my computer skips, my mouse moves choppy and everything loads slow.

I've run virus scanners, McAfee, Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I ran a defrag program and Regsupreme registry cleaner. I deleted a lot of unneeded programs to free up space, thinking that was the problem. I have 33.8 GB free space, and it still runs choppy.

I don't know a whole lot about computers, are there other programs I should run? Better ones?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 VCS

VCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=F1KETWB6RVGSDKB9

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

I ran...Regsupreme registry cleaner.

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system unbootable.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly can have disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use by those not familiar with the registry, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

You have 3 AntiVirus applications on this computer!

you need to spend an hour or two in add/remove programs

somewhere all that active protection is killing disk I/O

that laptop had a lot of crud when it was new, you have added way too much to it without removing any
Chewy

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

looking thru that list of installed software you went a little overboard in the last 10 days

what did MBAM have to find?

you'll need to remove a couple of resident programs to fix the problem, I doubt that even a malware scan can work right now
Chewy

#7 VCS

VCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

So should I delete the programs I've installed recently then run it again? I downloaded a lot of registry cleaners the past week that didn't work.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

Windows Live OneCare

McAfee Virus and Spyware Protection Service

the registry and disk cleaners

and then run a complete scan with MBAM and post the log

like I said you could spend an hour removing junk

how did you ever load so many programs on the 18th?
Chewy

#9 VCS

VCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

Windows Live OneCare

McAfee Virus and Spyware Protection Service

the registry and disk cleaners

Delete those?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:07 PM

yes delete those

for starters

add pando to that list, it does some funny things that are suspicous

you can test later if we can get the problem solved
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users