Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Cpu Output, Reboot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WestAirAviation

WestAirAviation

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:29 AM

Well, I'm out of ideas on this brand new problem I've been encountering with my PC and I'm not sure which exact forum this should go in, so I'll try here.

You see, the problem I am having only occurs when I run a program such as JKA, Flight Simulator, or any other game - but not with other smaller programs like Xfire or other programs of minute status. The problem also only occurs 5-15 minutes into the gameplay of the program, and can be cured by minimizing the program or shutting it down. The problem also ends up turning into a "critical error" system reboot if I let a program run with the problem too long, or minimize the program too long and try and maximize it again.

The problem itself is hard to explain, since the only actual indications of it are audible - the PC simply sounds like it does at Windows startup or when you throw in a disk; that high-pitch, loud, full-fan, full-cpu sound most computers make when you throw in a disk or start the computer. Another hint at the 'problem', is that the CPU Indications of the computer are at 100%. Both outputs, on any program. This is irregular, as the most stressful game or program I have only throws on 40-50% stress on the CPU, never 100%, as the following picture details:

Posted Image

The above picture describes what my CPU and temperatures are doing during the time of this odd ''high CPU'' condition. The green bar represents the CPU during the maximized condition of a program. The moment I minimized the program, this time Microsoft Flight Simulator X, you can see the result where the green bar, or CPU output, drops down below 50% to where it normally is for this program, and the ''loud computer sounds'' die down once more to a calm tone. The moment I re-mazimize the program, the ''loud computer sounds'' and high CPU output will continue again 5 to 15 minutes after re-maximization.

Before I continue, I'd like to display my Computers technical stats...

CPU: 2 processors running - AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
CPU Speed: 2.20 GHz Performance Rated at 6.30 GHz
System RAM: 2.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT (GeForce 7950 GT)
Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Video Card Features: 512.0 MB Video RAM, 3.0 Pixel Shader.

Also, the problem only recently began to occur (After I transported the PC from school back home via car). Otherwise, there is no actual reason for this to happen. The PC is infact an HP with selected parts from a computer store.

The Problem itself apparantly is not curable. This is a detailed list of what I have tried so far to fix it:
  • I have first deleted all of my installed programs and games. This including Microsoft Flight Sim, Civilization IV, and even FireFox.
  • I have used Control Panels ''Performance and Maintanance'' tab to delete every temporary file, internet file, and anything worth any kilobytes that can be cleaned, I then went through with ''Add or Remove Program'' and deleted anything not computer essential, including the remnents of uninstalled games. Finally, I went through the Program Files folder and purged everything. Everything.
  • Next, I uninstalled all of my drivers.
  • After a computer restart, I went and downloaded ''Perfect Disk'' Derfragging program offline, and did an entire system defrag which took 2 hours. Re-installed the drivers, restarted, re-installed the programs, restarted.
  • After that failed, I cleaned out the physical insides of the computer from dust and debris. It shines like newly washed car in the summer heat. This also denotes any heat problems, as after a detailed check, I found no heat issues.
  • I went and downloaded Anti-Virus program avast! which has had its way for 12 hours with my PC. First it did a sweep during system start before any programs could begin to run, windows included, then I went for the ''Omega, I'm going to rip through this PC like bread'' scan. Both of these showed zero viruses.

After doing all of this, I started up a program, this time Flight Sim, and sat it there for about 5 minutes. (With a nice 20 FPS drop from the stupid Anti-Virus program, which is one of the reasons I never got one in the first place...) After the occasional 5 to 15 minutes of sitting there, this time 7, the CPU ran up to max 100% output, the fans went on its high-pitch rage, and the temperatures went up 2*F. Thus destroying 2 days of hard maintanace and de-moralizing any hope I had left.

To put it bluntly, I'm about to just pick up the PC and kill it. It is a PC with gaming in mind, and this critical error has disallowed me to play any games on it, throwing its usefullness pretty much to the equivilant of my portable laptop, which atleast can travel with me. There is no reason the CPU should be spooling up like a Jet Engine not on program start, but 5 minutes into playing the game, reboot, and upon windows restart give me the infamous Windows ''Your computer has suffered a serious error'' alert. If it isn't a virus, isn't overheating, isn't drivers or program oriented, then what is it!?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:29 AM

got any error codes??

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

and is there any possibility that you had an ati in there at one time?

#4 WestAirAviation

WestAirAviation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:39 AM

got any error codes??

Upon system reboot, windows tells me it suffered a critical error and asks if I want to send the data in, but that is about it.

and is there any possibility that you had an ati in there at one time?

Nope, always been Nvidia GeForce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users