Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gaz Arnold

Gaz Arnold

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:07 AM

Hi,

I have just registered a new account as I have quite a seriuos problem with my computer that I can't figure out. I have a very old PC running Windows 98SE with an AMD Duron 900MHz.

For some time now my PC has been extreemely noisy so I assumed it was a problem with the power supply fan. Last week it started booting in safe mode so I decided I should take a look. I replaced the power supply with a newer (not brand new) one. I then removed the processor fan to find that there was 1/2 a centimeter of dust build up between the fan and heat sink across the entire area of the fan so no air was getting to the processor, plus one of the fan blades was almost broken off.

I removed the heat sink, cleaned it, replaced it and replaced the fan with a newer (working) one. When I switched my computer back on I realised that I had made the foolish error of not connecting the fan to the mother board correctly so the processor effectively had no fan, and the computer froze before Windows loaded. I then re-connected the fan and ever since this time my computer will not start in normal mode without crashing straight away.

Now every time I startup the computer I get various error messages regarding missing .VXD files, Windows can't find some drivers such a USB drivers, and I sometimes get a CONFIG error advising me to restart. The only way I can get onto the computer is in safe mode,

I don't know if i've burnt out the processor, or if the damage is to the hard drive or mother board or if it's just a registry problem,

If you can help me out I would be most grateful,

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:03 AM

Hello Gaz Arnold and welcome,

When you replaced the CPU fan/heatsink, did you apply thermal paste to the CPU?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Gaz Arnold

Gaz Arnold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:22 AM

No, do you think that is the cause of the problem?

If so, will removing it and re-applying some paste fix the problem, or would you say that it's irreversible?

Thanks

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

You could try re applying the paste, however the processor may be too badly damaged. its worth a try though.
http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134 is a good guide to re applying the paste.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Gaz Arnold

Gaz Arnold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:11 AM

Thanks a lot, A friend gave me his old computer the other day which has an AMD Athlon 1.4GHz processor in it, and I beleive it's compatible with my mother board. Do you think any other components could have been damaged? I could try to install the other processor but I don't know if it would be worth it, I might end up getting the same error messages,

Cheers

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Changing the processor is up to you, but if the original can still do the job then its best to keep it in there. What specific .VXD files are causing problebms?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Gaz Arnold

Gaz Arnold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

I don't have them written down, but three are certainly related to AVG (virus scanner). I have seen other error messages on startup but I think they are the only ones regarding .VXD files,

Cheers

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

.vxd files can be used for a number of things, audio, network drivers, virtual drivers etc. without the names of the files it will be very difficult to diagnose the problem. If some have been removed by AVG, it could be that the files were infected.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

I don't have them written down, but three are certainly related to AVG (virus scanner). I have seen other error messages on startup but I think they are the only ones regarding .VXD files,

Cheers

which version OF this program do you have on there?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

Thanks a lot, A friend gave me his old computer the other day which has an AMD Athlon 1.4GHz processor in it, and I beleive it's compatible with my mother board. Do you think any other components could have been damaged? I could try to install the other processor but I don't know if it would be worth it, I might end up getting the same error messages,

Cheers

I would look up the specifications on the motherboard to make sure everything is interchangeable
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Gaz Arnold

Gaz Arnold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:24 AM

Hi,

The version of AVG i'm using is 7.5.

As for taking parts from the other computer, it seems that both are in a bad way. I might just cut my losses and buy a new computer,

Thanks for you're help,

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users