Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introductory Post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wadeeb

wadeeb

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

Hello happy board members,

I am new to bleeping computers dot com but from what I can tell this is going to be a great experience and a valuable tool.

Currently I am working in Indonesia for a non-profit group involved in Human Rights work.

I am the IT support for the project and right now actually I am in Papua, not Papua new Guinea but Papua.
We are a small grass roots project with a couple of field teams which have a few computers each. It is a very different ballgame here with malware and virus problems as there are lots of 'local' virus' that are very effective at spreading via flash drive and slow internet. Most people here do not have internet at home.

Besides that I have had a computer at home since the IBM pc and MSDOS days, our first one was an AT 8088 (with a turbo switch under the front case) old school.

I have been tweaking in earnest for a few years now and find it a constant challenge and enjoyment

I also hold a degree in Computer Engineering Technology. This really opened up a new world to me as we worked with C++ and assembly and did a lot of computer interfacing along with robotics. Very cool stuff

The last year was spent working as a sys admin for a small company in Canada focused on web based education software. This threw me into the Linux deep end as all of our servers were powered by the penguin. Mostly Gentoo with a few really old Debian's thrown in to keep it interesting. We hosted our won sites including a very incredibly overkill web cluster hosted in a tier 1 Data Center. Love the command line. All the 40 odd desktops were windows XP Pro and a few Macs

Since I came here though its mostly Small Or Home Office type setups. No servers and just LAN's with a few P.C.s

We do use PGP extensively though so that is fun to wrangle and get the volunteers to understand

Technically speaking
I am familiar with the following
Windows family of OS, XP mostly, not much Vista
Linux, Ubuntu and Gentoo with a smackling of Debian

Some favorite programs
AVG free
PCMEDIA anti virus
Anti Vir
ClamWin AV
Spybot
PGP
Firefox
Thunderbird
Filezilla
Microsoft office
Nero
Img burn
TrueCrypt
Unison
Hijackthis
Notepad++

Look forward to helping out when I can and getting help when I can

Paul

The forum name comes from a guy I used to work with who started to use it in reference to the movie Dune where Paul Atreidis was called Wadeeb so i started using it. plus its easy to type

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

Welcome to BC!
Given your experience and knowledge, I hope you will find time to actively participate in our forums.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users