Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roadrunner

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:32 AM

Does anyone here have Roadrunner? If so, I got a few question for you.

After the first month of having it did the speed drop from like 3.9 Megabits (yes i did do a speed test) down to like only 30-190kilobytes. My website load faster than my schools connection, yet my downloads from website take a lot longer than before. I called up roadrunner and they gave me bleep about how they only help me if there is a problem with loading website... but this is reidicouls. My downloads from the same sites (grisoft.com, microsoft.com, and more) use to be super fast (download 3MB in like 1 minute, now its like 5minutes just to download 3MB). Its not coming to a screeching hault or anything I'm just curious if other people are having this problem.

I've talked to kids at school that have RR and they said they haven't experienced naything like this, or either they didn't kno what i'm talking about. I even looked some of this up on google and I found stuff about a slight drop in connection and not as serve as mine.

Also RR said to make sure my modem is plugged (and all 4 green lights are on b4 I hook up my router and and turn on the pcs). And they even recomended disabling my FIREWALLS? and they didn't help

Also even without the router it is the same effect on all 3 different computers. And Yes I've ran all maintance software (window washer, spybot, adaware, spy sweeper, registry mechanic, avg full scan, regsupreme, and more) and it still hasn't improved.

Ocassionally we get a connection boost but its only from some websites (which is weird, cause before it wasn't like this). When I mean by connection boosts, I mean that sometimes we'll be able to dl something (ie 5M in like 2 mins or less) but its occasionally happens.

If anyone has any help plz let me know.

Also I wont' be back until lke Sunday night, cause I'm going with my dad this weekend so yea...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:47 PM

How long has this been happening? Its very possible that there is a problem in one your interconnects for your area. Unfortunately the people at the help desk are more than useless. You can try escalating until you speak to someone with some knowledge

#3 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

I have been a Time Warner RR customer for about 3 years now. When I first started with them the first 3 months I had a 400 Mbps connection, this co-insided with their promotion time line, at the end of that time my connection was caped at 100 Mbps and has stayed so to this day.

No matter how high up the tier I went this is where it stayed.

Good luck

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:37 PM

How long has this been happening? Its very possible that there is a problem in one your interconnects for your area. Unfortunately the people at the help desk are more than useless. You can try escalating until you speak to someone with some knowledge

The reduce connection has been like this for almost a month.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:51 PM

Call them up and start bleeping..make them connect you to a level 3 tech

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:32 AM

Call them up and start bleeping..make them connect you to a level 3 tech

yea... do they really have levels? if so i'll probaby need like a lvl5. :thumbsup:

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:47 AM

do they really have levels? if so i'll probaby need like a lvl5

Yes they have levels, and if I remember right, level 3 is what you need. (level 1 is local 'read from a script,', level 2 is national support, and level 3 is back to local - but people who actually know something about the system)

RR is pretty consistant US-wide. Your connection is capped at 5000 Kbps down, 384 Kbps up. You should expect 3000 Kbps or better down and 250 Kbps or better up.

Speed tests are available on the http://www.dslreports.com web site under their 'tools' menu. Might also want to runs some of their other tools (specifically the Tweak Test) to see if you can identify a machine problem.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:54 PM

When you say "kbps" do you mean kilobits or kilobytes. I think you might be talking about kilobytes b/c as advertised its "5.0megabits" which is 5000kilobytes a second. However my speed tests show my dl speed at more like only 380kilobytes... however, when i dl a big file after about 2 minutes of averaging out, the speed comes up at about 70kilobytes.

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

Kbps = kilo BITS per sec
KBps = kilo BYTES per sec

Most speed tests give you a report in kilo bits per second.

The size of your hose (the maximum speed at your end) is not the only thing that affects the speed of a download. A restiction anywhere along the route can give you a slower than expected final rate.

At DSLReports, under Test&Tools, Speed tests. click on the "Show 307 speedtest sites ordered by location" and find a couple of different sites near you to run your speed test from.

Edited by ddeerrff, 04 April 2005 - 02:37 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:09 PM

2005-04-04 17:13:44 EST: 875 / 354
Your download speed : 896655 bps, or 875 kbps.
A 109.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 362669 bps, or 354 kbps.

109.4 kilobytes = 0.8546875 megabits

And this test was ran from a website that was within like 50 miles.

--------

And this test below was ran from a place that is about 40miles away.

Please wait for the X5Wireless Broadband Bandwidth Test Results

Your IP Address: 24.***.***.***
Text block size: 1000 KB
Download time: 33469 ms
Transmission speed: 239 Kb/s

http://www.rr.com/rdrun/index.htm
http://www.rr.com/rdrun/index.htm

Edited by yanowhiz, 04 April 2005 - 04:36 PM.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

KB and kb are not the same. Website traffic and downloading files are usually rated in KiloBytes, not Kilobits.

There are 8 bits in a byte. So if you are getting a download rate of 100 KB (kilobytes) that equates to 800 kb (kilobits)

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

(lvl3) teach support

Ok I just got off the phone with them and they said the range number inside the modem is way off. (and no this is not wire-less) They say that it is suppose to be between -7 and 7, however currently mine is set at .ike 13.6. So I've scheduled them to come out this wednesday to change it.

However, I asked the guy how this could have happened and he said he doesn't know because he only works with the "computer related questions" and he "doesn't work with the cable." So yea, he was smart, but not as smart as i wish he was. :thumbsup: :flowers: anywho, so i'm happy...

#13 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:32 PM

DOCSIS specs are -15 to +15 dBmv. Anything out of the -10 to +10 area is getting marginal. Your local office may try to keep the level between -7 and +7 dBmv.

A loss of signal strength can be caused by a lot of things; Loose connection somewhere along the line, bad amplifier, deteriorating cable.

In my experience, the 'linemen' know what they are doing, and will most likely have you back up to speed in no time.

Edited by ddeerrff, 04 April 2005 - 06:33 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

Ok, good. Thanks for the explaination what those numbers were cause I couldn't really hear what he called them, but thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

I just can't wait until Wednesday night! :flowers::inlove: :trumpet:

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:03 PM

Ok when i got home today, my mom said they came here at exactly 2, and they did nothing to the modem, as far as i can tell. They said they put in a request to have someone come out and look at the pole (telephone pole, cause they said that is where the problem is wtf). However my bandiwdth speed tests are now registering (cnet.com) at like 560-620kb. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Any ideas to what i should do, i'm thinking about calling them up and start complaining to them about y does the DOCSIS have to fixed on the pole... (wtf)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users