Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows (home Edition) Cannot Find Rundll32.exe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

When I try to open "Add or Remove Programs" I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe', Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again..."

I have the Windows XP installation disk so I tried following the instructions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812340 but I couldn't get that to fix the problem.

I think this problem may have occurred a few days ago when I scanned with Spyware Doctor and quarantined a bug called "Trojan-Spy.pophot.WX." I noticed a file called rundll32.exe among the associated quarantined items. I was going to restore it from Spyware Dr to see if my rundll32 would return but I accidentally removed it from the quarantine list. So, I am not able to test this theory.

Thanks for any help you may can provide. Also, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum. It's a Windows problem but yet I think it may have been caused by a Trojan (removal), not sure.

Also I just tried SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and that didn't fix the problem either...still the same error message.

Edited by thebeatgoeson, 21 May 2008 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hello I am moving this fro the XP forum to the Am I Infected to see if this is still a malware isue. If not I will put you back there.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

Here are the results:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.12
Database version: 775

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 41634
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\n.bat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

From Start, Run, type "msconfig" without the quotes. Click the expand button lower right. You can then expand and extract to any location. Detailed version:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
3. Click Expand File.
4. In the "File to restore" box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
5. In the "Restore from" box, type the path to the Windows XP .cab file from which you want to restore the file, or click
Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.

NOTE: The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP compact disc (CD).

6. In the "Save file in" box, type the path to which you want the new file extracted, or click Browse To to locate the folder
that you want.
7. Click Expand.
8. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:42 PM

Okay, here's what I used as I understand it:

File to Restore: RUNDLL32.EXE
Restore From: D:\I386\WINSYS32.CAB (this one seemed to make sense to me)
Save File In: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 (this is where the error message said it should be)

Does this sound right?

edit:
Edit to say that I tried the above twice and restarted both times but I am still getting the same error when I click on "Add or Remove Programs" (and other control panel options.) Please advise if my values above look correct.

edit2: I don't even see a SYSTEM32 folder in my WINDOWS folder. Should I maybe try to save the file in SYSTEM instead?

Edited by thebeatgoeson, 21 May 2008 - 11:13 PM.

#6 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

Okay, I see the SYSTEM32 folder now. I guess I just need to figure out how to get rundll32.exe into it. I couldn't get the above technique to work (maybe I have a wrong path?). Also, the technique described on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812340 didn't work either. I'll hang up and listen.

edit:
I meant to also say that I did a search and did find rundll32.exe in my WINDOWS folder but it is in a folder called C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ instead of in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder. My guess is that it should not be there. How do I proceed from here? THX

Edited by thebeatgoeson, 22 May 2008 - 12:53 AM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:47 AM

since you do have a windows cd let's try this a different and better way

I have the Windows XP installation disk

what sp is it?

xp home oem sp1?

and what label? what company? generic MS?
Chewy

#8 thebeatgoeson

thebeatgoeson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I kept working on this late last night. I decided that since I found a copy of rundll32.exe in the C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder why not try and copy and paste a copy into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder. I did this and my control panel functions have returned to normal!! I no longer get the error message. Was this an acceptable maneuver? It seems to have fixed the problem but at the same time it's hard to believe that whatever caused this error simply relocated the rundll32.exe from one folder (where it belongs) to another odd folder (where it is useless) without messing anything else up. But, I guess I'm willing to consider the matter closed if you think it's okay.

By the way, there are a lot of these C\WINDOWS\NtUninstall***** folders that have the word "uninstall" in them and most have 6 digit # included. Should I be concerned about these?

Since you asked, the WINDOWS disk I was referring to says: "Gateway Operating System Windows XP-Home Edition - Use this CD to reinstall your operating system Version 1.0" It doesn't say what sp it is but it is copyright 2001. Also, my system shows that I have Service Pack 3 and also I am very current on all of the Microsoft/Windows updates.

It did bug my that I was unable to restore the file from the disk as you described.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:44 AM

a gateway cd is/was the problem

But way to go, whatever works is the important part

I removed 93 of those hot patch uninstalls from my windows folder after upgrading to sp3

applying the admin install of sp3 makes a I386 folder on your hard drive so sfc scannow can work

my rundll32.exe was the same before and after sp3 so you should be good to go on that

http://downloads.tech-pro.net/windows-xp-u...ver_tpwu01.html

was the program i used very cautiously and deliberately for all the old hot patches

Edited by DaChew, 22 May 2008 - 11:45 AM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users