Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

V.92 Modem Options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

Well, I am still on dialup and will be for a few years yet. But one of these days I am actually going to get a V.92 modem. :D What I am currently thinking about is buying a V.90 Sportster (model 5686) since it is cheaper and then using the upgrade utility from USR to get the new firmware for V.92. But if I am going to the trouble of buying a new modem, I wonder if there is a difference between the older 5686 that defaults to V.90 and needs the upgrade vs. the (more expensive) newer 5686 (5686 D or E) that comes already V.92 out of the box? Is there any hardware difference? I would presume that if there is, the newer versions would be better at V.92 than the older versions. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the quality of performance between the 5868 V.90 upgrades and 'native' 5686 V.92 modems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:47 AM

The performance really depends on the phone lines, this will determine the Kbps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Yes, I'm very much aware of the importance of phone line quality. But I've seen the consistent difference in connect speeds on the same line with different modems so I know that the modem hardware makes a difference. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any significant hardware changes on the V.92 version of the Sportster vs. the previous V.90 version.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

The v92 has some advantages over the v90, the upload and download speeds are faster with the v92. The v92 also has some whistles and bells like modem on hold so that you can answer phone calls. Another advantage of the v92 is the quick connect, you can read all about this in this article.

You may be able to up grade your v90 modem, you will have to check with the manufacturer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users