Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not computer related


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rey910

rey910

  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:02 AM

Not sure if I am allowed to post something like this---but figured what the "L" if not then it will be deleted. I no this is mainly a computer related site but something happen to me the other day and i feel i should pass this on to any and all people--whether it be verbal or written-----
People who have gas dryers in their homes--not sure if you are aware of a couple things that could happen---they almost happened to me---
#1----always when spring comes---everyone gets on a spring cleaning trip---you go outside of your house and clean up what you missed in the fall and what mother nature had done to your flower gardens---did you ever think that vent where it is attached to your dryer could be filled with lint particles? Please take the couple minutes and clean it out----easier than trying to restore what a fire had destroyed.
#2----don't let that dryer intimidate you---unplug it and lift the top---it is just snapped down---then unscrew the front panel from the dryer---making sure you unattached the button for the on/off switch---remove the front--it usually just lifts up a bit and then can be removed---get your vacuum out and vacuum any and all lint/fuzz/or whatever is lying around---you might just notice---there seems to be more flammable stuff near the burner---takes bout a half hour to give it a through cleaning ---re-read last sentence in #1
#3----try to do this frequently---look behind your dryer and see if any clothes or what not had fallen down there and could possibly be lying across the vent pipe---you would be amazed at how much heat is sent thru that vent to the outside---re-read #!
#4----before you plug your dryer back in---most of the cords are fairly long and they droop down behind your dryer---did you know when they droop--they most likely droop against those little vents that are behind your dryer---over a period of time---the heat emitting from those little vents could very well melt the protective coating that surrounds your plug wires----make sure that the plug wire is not laying against those vents---i am considering myself very lucky on this one----my son called me one day and said the dryer stopped at his home---asked what to do---he said the circuit breaker went off---being as it is an old dryer i just thought the motor had finally gone on it--i told him to unplug it for a while(assuming that the motor had a heat kill switch, that when it cooled back down would reset) and then plug it back in---this he tried---didn't hear from him for a couple days---then he called again and asked if i could come over and look at dryer because it was still not working---my next thought was that the dial to start the dryer had finally wore out---so i pulled the dryer away from the wall to get to the back to remove the switch---i then noticed that the cord was attached to the back at the bottom of wear it was drooping---also assuming that there was a clip there holding the cord there--i looked for it---didn't see any clip---so i gave it a healthy tug and the cord came loose---when i looked at the cord---the protective covering had all melted and it had fused to the back of the dryer---by the grace of GOD no one had gotten electrocuted----i immediately replaced the bare wired cord with a new one and made sure that there was no more droop in the cord once it was plugged back in.

every thing is in tip top running order now but just from what i have experienced---i hope this message helps others

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

    Lord Spam Magnet


  • Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SW Louisiana
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

Not sure if I am allowed to post something like this---but figured what the "L" if not then it will be deleted. I no this is mainly a computer related site but something happen to me the other day and i feel i should pass this on to any and all people--whether it be verbal or written-----

You've got the right forum, rey.
You can post anything you want to, in the General Chat forum.

Nice safety tip.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 phawgg

phawgg

    Learning Daily


  • Members
  • 4,543 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Location:Washington State, USA
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:59 AM

I'm glad you had the inspiration to check it out, rey910.
Seems like you have averted a tragedy that was in the making.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Location:Northern California
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

rey910: Just took your advice...and what a surprise. Can't call them dust-bunnies, more like lint-hippos hiding in the nooks and crannies :thumbsup:. Thanks for the tip. :flowers:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users