Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advent 7081 Cmos Battery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hi all,

I need to replace the cmos battery in my advent 7081 laptop.
Does anyone know where l can find out which battery l need to buy, and how l can access it?
A technical manual would be ideal, but if anyone can be give me instructions l would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Geoff
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

Here is a link to a page that has some info. At the bottom are more links that might also help.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7081.htm

And here is another page showing how to change various laptop cmos batteries.

http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_battery.html

Good luck.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 21 May 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:25 AM

Hi,

THanks for your response, l trawled throgh all the links you gave me, and although there was a lot of good info there, l could not find any strip down instruction for the advent, do you have any othere info l can look at?

Many thanks
Geoff

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:05 AM

Don't really have any more info but most laptops have many screws on the bottom. Some are even marked with a Disk or a Keyboard, to designate what they are holding in.

You could try and remove screws, one at a time. Mark how long each one is and which hole they came out of. It is VERY important to put them back in the same spot.

Once you get to the motherboard, you will have to search for the battery. As you can see, everybody has their own way of doing it.

:thumbsup:

DR

#5 Lorraine London

Lorraine London

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:03 PM

I am trying to do the same thing, I just put the model into ebay "advent 7081 cmos battery" and have bought one there. However I still cannot get to the battery on the motherboard. Has anyone done this before. I unscrewed all the screws on the bottom and could get to the hard disk and memory and processor but not the battery on the motherboard. Can anyone help?

#6 PaMarn

PaMarn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

Did any of you guys find an answer to this? I've got the same problem.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

Some are held in place with a piece of tape others use velcro
I've also seen a spot of hot-melt glue
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 BobDee

BobDee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:56 AM

The Cmos Battery is accessed by removing the keyboard. Take out the Main Battery to ensure the PC is completely dead. Then get a sharp pointed knife or fine watchmakers screwdriver and using a good light, find four plastic tags along the bottom edge of the keyboard. Start at the left hand edge and use a gentle lever pressure to lift the keyboard. Once the left hand tag is released the keyboard should lift slightly and as the oher tags are released it will eventaually hinge out from the bottom. It is attached by a ribbon cable to the motherboard but you dont have to disconnect it if you have a large work area, just move the keyboard clear and to the bottom of the laptop. You will now see a thin metal cover plate. Remove this noting where the top tongues are situated. You may have to loosen some screws ti replace this properly. At this stage you will still not see the CMOS battery. It is under the metal plate that forms part of the laptop frame. You will however see a small connector with red and black wires and marked BT1 or similar. You could leave the old battery where it is , glued and taped to the mother board. What a pain!! , and unplug the old battery connector and locate the new battery in the space where the keyboard ribbon cable stows. Or loosen off more screws which means taking off the top button cover and getting the old battery out. The bottom line is , this laptop has just about the worse design that I have seen re battery replacement. You must order the correct battery complete with attached leads and plug. No clip in battery system here! The braver or foolish ones like me might try and solder leads to a standard battery but this is DANGEROUS and not recommended unless you really know what you are doing. Battery could explode! with the heat of the soldering iron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users