Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running out of drive letters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:56 AM

I've got this little hard drive (250MB) and I'm trying to partition it 27 times so I can run out of drive letters but I can't get past X:.

Any suggestions?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:59 AM

Y ???? :thumbsup:

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:05 AM

That is a really good Question!
I Myself have never tried to do that i have heard it was possible to get 255 Logical Partitions. and those affordable TB Drives are right around the corner (course that corner could be 10-20 years :thumbsup: ) might be something to try out.

Sorry wasn't any help! just had to post that is a good question.

Edited by LoLucky, 01 April 2005 - 10:06 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

I'm just using Fdisk.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:29 PM

Dear Leurgy,

A drive can only be partitioned 24 times (26 minus the A and B letters). As too why? The only thing I can find out is that Dos is written that way. They have added a command Lastdrive=x to the config file.

Maybe it has to do with the Fat size or someone likes the omega letter. The 24th letter seems to be very popular to some people.

Hope that helps,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users