Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Fail At Power On When Both Ram Slots Used

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2wartz

2wartz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

I have purchased a 2Gb kit on Ebay( 2 x 1GB DIMMs) to replace a single DIMM of 512mb. When both DIMMs installed system gives continuous long beeps at power on indicating RAM failure. This is only when both new 1gb DIMMs are installed in slots 1 & 2. With 1 x 1GB in slot 1 system boots ok. With same 1 x 1GB in slot 2 system boots ok. With the other 1 x 1GB the system will boot up ok in slot 1 or slot 2.
When both 1 x 1GB DIMMs are installed in slots 1 and 2 the system fails to boot.
On the Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M MoBo I have, there are only 2 RAM slots.
It is Award Software BIOS & I cant find any reference to dual channel vs single channel memory anywhere in the bios pages. I have checked the version of BIOS I am running & there seems to be no upgrade as the BIOS I have is dated to match the latest release for this mobo.
Belarc Advisor tells me I have 1gb RAM working in single channel when I have 1 DIMM installed.
As both slots 1 & 2 will work independently the fault is not the MoBo. Both new 1 x 1GB DIMMs will work independently in either slot 1 or slot 2 so the DIMMs are proving ok.
Somehow I need to switch to dual channel memory instead of single channel when I install BOTH 1 x 1gb DIMMs.
I have tried them in my other machine which has a Gigabyte 7VM400M mobo & the system boots perfectly & detects 2gb with no trouble at all thank you very much. In this machine it just won't detect 2gb if both slots are used.
Is there some setting in BIOS I have missed or a possible jumper or switch on the mobo that needs to be set?
Any Ideas folks?
2wartz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

Sure you got the correct memory? My eyes might be playing tricks on me, but I don't see where it says your board supports DDR2
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/motherboards
http://www.crucial.com/store/lmodel=GA-K8VM800M
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 2wartz

2wartz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi garmanma
I'm not installing DDR2, just DDR-SDRAM
The mobo specs are:
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Number of Memory Slots 2 x 184 Pin DIMMs
Supported RAM speeds 400 MHz 333 MHz 266 MHz
Max Supported RAM 2 GB

I bought the 2 x 1gb DIMMs as a KIT on Ebay so they should be perfectly compatible as being equal.
One DIMM on it's own in either slot will work OK so it's not an incompatible DIMM trying to work with a mobo that does not recognise it. I just can't get the system to boot when both DIMMs are installed at the same time.
2wartz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users