Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Restore Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:17 AM

Hi Everyone

I have a friend I've been trying to help with this Missing NTLDR problem. Before anyone makes any suggestions for repairing it, can I just say that everything that can be tried has already been tried. All that can be hoped for is to find a way to save her files before doing a clean install. She only has Restore Disks and there's no way she can use these without loosing all her files.

Money is a serious problem otherwise it would have been very simple to get her out of trouble by using a second hard drive as a Master and her faulty one as a slave. She has another computer with which I can talk to her using IM. I would dearly like to tell her to use the hard drive out of that machine but, to use her own words, she's as green as grass. I would need to be in touch to instruct her every step of the way.

I have a spare hard drive and would be quite happy to lend it to her with an OS already installed upon it. Trouble is, I'm in the UK while she lives in the States. The postal costs would be far too high.

OK, so what we tried instead was a Knoppix Live CD. She has a DVD burner so we thought she could copy her files to that once she was booted to the Live CD. All that happened was the same Missing NTLDR message came up. We also tried a Acronis Partition Expert bootable CD. Same result.

It seems hardly likely that a computer that uses Restore Disks to install the operating system does not have the BIOS set up for booting to a CD. So I'm hoping someone can help out here. We would both be grateful for whatever help can be offered. Who knows, maybe there's someone living very close to her who has a spare hard drive even. She lives in Meridian Ms and has a

Dell Dimension 8300, Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.6GHz,
256MB DDR at 400MHZ, 64MB Geforce4 MX Graphics Card with TV-out,
120GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200RPM), 3.5in Floppy drive, DVD + -
RW drive, CD RW drive, Intel Pro 100m Integrated PCI NIC card, 56k
PCI Data fax modem for windows, and running Windows XP Home Edition
with service pack 1.

Please help if you can, but just bear in mind that she only has a few dollars to spare. Not even enough to afford a COA let alone a full version of XP.

Thanks a lot
Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:44 PM

It mostly support bootable cdroms, but you may need to set it as the first boot device in the bios. Check the bios and make sure its set as the first boot device

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Grinler

That was all I could think would stop the Knoppix Live CD from booting too. Big problem though, trying to guide this very green girl through her BIOS setup over the Internet especially as we both run totally different machines. She took about 30 mins just to learn how to load and use the Live CD to boot with, and that was when we were using IM to communicate. I don't mind spending the time showing her how to do things, but I would hate to have her do the wrong thing just because I couldn't see what was on her screen.

What really gets to me is the fact that she has everything she needs to get over the problem, and all she needs is someone to take her hard drive out and put it into her other machine as a slave. Then all I would need to do is guide her as to how to save all her files. If both her machines are cable select, no problem at all.

Do you know of any web site that would give me details, not just specs about her Dell?

Thanks again Tony

#4 DeCipher

DeCipher

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

Well I'm not sure what kind of information you want about it, but i found this:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&s=gen&cs=#BIOS

That shows how to enter the bois to change the boot order.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l...f=True&usf=info

This is just a search at dell.com. You can get the manual, and all kinds of stuff.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Edited by DeCipher, 02 April 2005 - 08:54 PM.

Posted Image

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:14 PM

Thanks DeCipher

We have managed to reset her BIOS to boot from the CD drive and we managed to load the Knoppix Live CD. Only trouble is that we can't seem to work out how to use this to save her files.

Tony with thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users