Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tyros celebrate

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:15 PM

Like it muchly. Hope more people migrate in.

Please do not add any more separate forums. There are so many now it will be a wonder to keep track of them all. Am almost finished reading all the posts. Glad to discover you while you are realtively new.

Haven't made it through all the tutorials yet. But what I have seen sure looks good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:47 PM

Glad you like the forums. I plan on maybe making one more forum for Tips & Tricks for people to post a tip or trick in, and for bleeping computer to post a tip a day (or at least try to).

What do people think about that?

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:49 AM

I plan on maybe making one more forum for Tips & Tricks for people to post a tip or trick in, and for bleeping computer to post a tip a day (or at least try to).

What do people think about that?

I think that's an excellent idea! :thumbsup: IMHO it would make BC even more attractive to novices & those that have been using computers for a while but don't realize there are different, sometimes better, ways to do things.
:flowers:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 Bluie

Bluie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:29 PM

Ok Ok one more :flowers: Tips is a great idea.

Also like the Definitions in the top corner. But must register a complaint about circular definitions. Ie: "protocol is a protocol" or a "blogger is one who blogs". You have been reading too many MS Help articles. Remember you are aiming this at tyros (yes, I love tht word in case you had not noticed) :thumbsup: when you KISS Keep it short and simple but be thorough.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:49 PM

Also like the Definitions in the top corner. But must register a complaint about circular definitions. Ie: "protocol is a protocol" or a "blogger is one who blogs". You have been reading too many MS Help articles.

Sheesh I didnt even realize I did that. I am going to have to scan through all the definitions and find those types of definitions.

Thanks for pointing it out to me.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:10 AM

Remember you are aiming this at tyros (yes, I love tht word in case you had not noticed)

What excactly is ...Tyros? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 Bluie

Bluie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:11 AM

Good Morning Scarlet A tyro is a beginner or a newbie. There was already a really great word without creating a bastardized form of an adjective. But then language is dynamic and changes all the time. Another good one is a neophyte. But tyro is shorter to type.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:17 AM

Good morning to you too. I thought so. Just wasnt quite sure. Tyro...I like that as opposed to...newbie. I must say that I agree with you completely.

Edited by scarlett, 14 September 2004 - 11:27 AM.

Posted Image

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:08 PM

Another good one is a neophyte

I always liked that one 'cause it sounds like "one new to the fight" and that describes learning malware removal to a "T" :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:57 PM

A tyro, which is from medieval Latin for squire( or recruit) is a beginner learner in something.
The original, and preferred meaning of neophyte (from the Greek for newly planted, then through Late Latin), is a recent convert to a belief. Hence its historical religious usage in the Roman Catholic church. Only secondarily is it close to meaning a novice.

Languages may change, but it is important to maintain such distinctions, or we will all end up using 600 words for every concept under the sun. And language defines how we interpret the world.

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 14 September 2004 - 01:58 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:25 PM

There is a whole section for Tips already, nicely categorized.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

Languages may change, but it is important to maintain such distinctions, or we will all end up using 600 words for every concept under the sun. And language defines how we interpret the world.

I almost said "amen" in response (too religious)
Then I thought "I'll second that" (too political)
The confusion that exists for concepts under the sun certainly might apply to computer terminology, I continued to think... (merely a technical difficulty, perhaps)

I'll settle for "I agree" I might someday say, "How in the world did you ykutz-dot-exe that, for pete's sake?" as a definitive statement of incredulity :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users