Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format "c" Partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sardie

sardie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

I have a HP Pavilion PC with Windows XP SP2 and instead of recovery disks it has a "D" Recovery Partition.I would like to Format the "C" partition but Windows Explorer shuts me down every time I go near the local disk. If I go to Command Prompt with FORMAT C: it just keeps asking me questions I have no answers to. Oh! Please don't refer me tp HP 24/7. I don't have time to learn a new language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Garry23

Garry23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hold down F11 when booting up.
from Mesa, Arizona

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

You cannot format a partition...from which you are working.

Formatting erases all data on the partition...which cannot be done if you are in the partition when you attempt to format. The command prompt functions from within Windows and the existing partition.

Louis

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:53 PM

I might be completely missing something here, but how about using a good old fashioned 98 or ME boot disk? It should take you right to DOS to fdisk and format C.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

When you press F11 for recovery, it will ask you if you want to do a Destructive or a Non-destructive recovery. The Destructive recovery will format the hard drive for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

well considering you have a recovery volume, it is possible to extract windows from it, and burn the installation to a cd.

This would result in the loss of all preinstalled software that you do not save.

anyway, check Response Number 3 here

you also might want the bootsector to make the cd bootable

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 22 May 2008 - 07:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users