Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In The Market For A New Video Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 swas

swas

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hi everyone. I'm looking around for a new video card. At this time my budget is in the $200-$250 dollar price range. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. I would also like to know how to find what motherboard my computer has. I'm running Vista with an AMD athlon 4200+ Thanks.

Edited by swas, 20 May 2008 - 07:40 PM.

How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

A good card, that would most likely be under your price range too, would be the Nvidia Geforce 8800Gt 512mb. The best brand is probably EVGA, but XFX is another good one. The thing is, you need a pci express slot on your motherboard. Also, a newer graphics card like that might get bottlenecked a little because of an older single core processor. It will still work, but you might also want to look into getting a dual core processor if your motherboard supports it. The dual core AMDs can be found for as little as $60 for a decent one.

For your motherboard, what is the model of your computer?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi sterling, My computer is an HP pavilion a1710n, and It does have the amd 64 dual core. I forgot to add that. Is there that much difference in card manufacturers or are the specs the most important thing? Thanks

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

The quality of the components they use the support they offer. With eVGA's step-up program they're probably the best. Basically if you buy one of their cards and a year or so down the road you realize it doesn't cut it anymore they give you a trade in on it. with 250 i'm pretty sure it would cover a 9800 GX2 but a 512 8800 would do you fine. Actually i have to take back what i said, BFG makes the best video cards but they are always more expensive

#5 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

I've been looking at newegg.com and tigerdirect. Is there any other good sites I should check?

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

I always use Newegg. They have the best prices, and I believe their website it much easier to use compared to tigerdirect.

This looks like a good card to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127329 . MSI is a good brand, and that card comes slightly overclocked with a 660mhz core (versus 600mhz standard for an 8800GT) and 1900mhz memory (compared to 1800mhz standard). You should check to see if your computer has enough room for a big card like that. Notice it will take up two pci slots because of the big fan. Check the length too, to see if its going to run into anything in your case. I don't know exactly how long it is though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

Hi sterling, I finally found my motherboard, and it only has one pci express slot. I don't believe that card will work? As far as the room the last time I had the side panel open it looked like quite a bit. Here is my motherboard if that would do any good. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...p;lang=en Thanks for the help.

Edited by swas, 21 May 2008 - 11:46 PM.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:46 AM

I'm sorry if I confused you. I meant that the card will take up another bracket on the back of your computer. It doesn't need another pci slot. I just wanted to make sure your computer had an empty bracket spot near your pci express slot. If you look at the images on Newegg you should be able to see what I mean.

Another thing I forgot to mention was you should check to see how many watts your power supply has and how many amps on the 12V rail. There should be a label on the side of your power supply. It should say the total Wattage and also somewhere it should say +12V. See how many a's the +12V rail has. If you see more then one +12V rail, list both of their total amps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users