Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Related To Sound?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fabey4

fabey4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hello,
Thank you in advance for helping me with my problem(s). I am not sure if they are related but I'm not sure where to start. I run Windows XP on my home computer.

The intitial problem begins when I start my computer- during the load process I get the following error:

"Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SAPA-1
Strike F1 to continue, F2 to setup utility"

Upon hitting F1 I am brought to the account selection screen. One of my admin accounts, when selected, will cause my computer to go to the "blue screen of death." I understand this can be for a variety of reasons including a hardware conflict. But beyond that I am not sure.

If I use any of the other accounts (I think I have 4) all with admin access) I don't get this screen. I also do not have any sound with any of these accounts. If I attempt to load itunes, it first gives me a message stating it is unable to start a sound device?

As I said I'm not sure where to start and greatly appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

Hello :thumbsup:.

I'd start with the error message (verbatim) displayed on the BSOD screen...

"Drive not found" errors take place for various reasons, could be a boot order error, loose cable/connection, etc. That probably should read "SATA-1", not "SAPA-1".

Can you provide system manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#3 fabey4

fabey4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for responding. I'm not much of a computer person so I pulled this off of the system properties:
System:
Windows XP Home
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
SP 2

Computer:
Dell
Intel ®
Pentium ® D CPU 2.08 GHZ
2.79 GHZ
512 MB RAM

I assume you need something different though. Can you assist me in locating that info?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

Dell's model number, example: Dell Dimension 2100
It should be on a tag, maybe on the back, or see if you can find a service tag number
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 fabey4

fabey4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

Service Tag #
3YSD491

Dell XPS400

#6 fabey4

fabey4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

Can anyone assist me?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

Here's your sound driver
http://support.dell.com/support/
Installation instructions are at the bottom of the page
As far as the BSOD goes, I'd create a new account and delete the one giving you trouble
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

Hi fabey4 I'd like to make a suggestion. With the power off open the case and check the cables going to your drives. Try to identify which drive is the number 1 which the error message says is not being

detected by the bios. If you can identify it be especially careful checking the cables to it. Then during the bootup when it says F1 to continue or F2 for setup select F2. This will open the bios setup utility. The

opening page usually lists the Time and Date and each drive from A:\ to whatever. If you highlight a drive there is usually a way to have the bios attempt to detect it. You will not see anything in Windows that

you can't see in the bios setup.
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users