Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering A Word Document

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fredthro

Fredthro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

I saved a very lengthy report I spent all last week writing. I emailed it to myself so I could finish it at home last night and was very different from the version I sent myself. I figured I sent the wrong one but when I got to the office this morning the same copy was present. When I write these, I paste a similar report onto a new document a rename it by adress. The only version present is the one with no changes other than the name change. How can this be? I had been saving it periodically and am 100% certain I saved the most recent draft. Can it be recovered or am I screwed?

I have a copy that I sent to myself on tues that is more current than the one I saved last night. I just cannot understand how this can be. I must not have saved it to the folder where I keep my reports. That's the only explanation. What's odd is that there are copies of stuff in the temp folder that are months old, but not my report.

These are c&p'd from another forum; someone there suggested this one. I'm in sort of a desperate situation here.

Edited by Fredthro, 20 May 2008 - 10:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

I'm not sure I quite understand what you are saying?

Let me see if I can paraphrase and you tell me if I got it.

You worked on a Word Document at work and saved it. Then sent the newly saved Word Document to yourself at home.

But the Document you supposedly sent to yourself at home, from work is not the same one you think you worked on and saved that you have at work?

If I have that right. Check your sent mail at work for the document and see if it's what you expected to send. If the document in your sent mail folder is the one you want, then you need to have your IT department figure out how the server changed that document.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

If the document you saved was renamed on your work machine have a look through the most recent docs in word and see if the newer version is there. It could be just a case of you thinking you saved it to a certain location but it actually saved somewhere different.

I also would check the last modified date on the files to see if that does match with your last save point.

Just a thought.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users