Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

400 Year Old Computer!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Freedom Runner

Freedom Runner

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Attached File  Windows_Defender_1601.JPG   61.41KB   37 downloads Hi, I recently purchased a Dell Inspirion 1525 laptop and about a week or two after I bought it I noticed my Kaspersky A/V shouting that it was not a valid activation key etc. I immediately noticed that the internal clock hadnt just lost time, it had reset itself to 01/01/2001 and the clock had obviously started at midnight! I reset the date/clock and everything was okay until about a week later, same thing. This "fault" is very sporadic but as long as the computer is powered up and in use its okay. Some of my files have the date in the properties set to 01/01/2001 though I'm pretty sure that they were not altered whilst in use.
On one accasion I got a message saying I hadn't scanned my computer for 148739 days. It had reset to 01/01/1601! My first thought was faulty battery etc, virus, or some Vista conflict.
Nothing seems to pinpoint the cause. It remains erractic until this week and it has happened several times in one day, nothing for a few days and then a couple more times. I have emailed Dell and whilst they appeared to be willing to help, their suggestions regarding resetting the BIOS etc seem to have no effect. I am tempted to send the bloody thing back to Dell. Does anyone have any idea or suggestion what I can do to sort this. My knowledge level is not great but I can follow instructions better than your average 60 year old ! All and any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

I'd venture to say that your CMOS battery is dead, Its a small (about the size of a nickle) lithium battery with letters and numbers on it CR2032 or something like that. Where to find it in a laptop I couldn't say but you can buy them at any retail chain or electronics store, very cheap like a couple dollars. If you can find it that's most likely the culprit.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1179839

Louis

#4 Freedom Runner

Freedom Runner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for that guys. The Dell link above is not for the 1525 unfortunately and the procedure to change the coin cell battery seems much more involved. I've tried to pin this problem down further and it doesnt appear to happen if I shut down completely. It doesnt appear to happen if I put it in hibernation but I can't be certain because it is an erratic problem. So logically I'm going to start with anything that is "non-destructive", starting with a battery change for the CMOS. There is a possiblity of a bad connection for the battery which might explain its erratic "appearance". Looking at the instruction on the support pages of Dell http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs...t.htm#wp1179839
suggests I should leave it until the weekend when I can take my time (no pun intended) and get it right. The other avenue suggested by Dell is to download the BIOS again so I guess that will be step two. Thanks for you help.

Edited by Freedom Runner, 21 May 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

IMO...a BIOS update should be the last thing one considers, especially so with no clear evidence indicating that any BIOS update would solve (specifically) what is deemed troublesome.

Re the link I posted...I could not find the 1525 model on US Dell site, did not think to check the Euro site for info :thumbsup:.

Keep us informed :flowers:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2008 - 10:30 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

It's located underneath the keyboard
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/
The motherboard battery is what controls the date/time. It has nothing to do with the laptop battery. The wrong date and time can screw up a lot of things from update downloads to devices not worling properly
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Freedom Runner

Freedom Runner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

I've just noticed that all the help offered is from the USA, so I've updated my profile and once again thanks guys. I've been using "Hibernate" to end the last half dozen sessions and my time/date has not been indulging in time travel! So I think I'll continue this method of ending a session for the next week. If my machine remains stable wouldn't this suggest that it was not the CMOS battery that was the problem? Incidentally there seems to be a conflict with the BIOS in the Inspirion 1525 and Vista SP1 and the WLAN card, see http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...thread.id=45328 . It was the Dell support team that suggested I update the BIOS. I was unable to do it at the time because I was unsure how to do this but I have been doing a lot of reading and revising since then and I'm now "au fait" with the procedure.

Edited by Freedom Runner, 22 May 2008 - 04:05 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

Understood :thumbsup:.

Regarding computers...I find that the simple answers are often the best. I try not to make any problematical situation...more complex than it really is, so I try the easy, simple stuff first.

Louis

#9 Freedom Runner

Freedom Runner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:11 AM

Its now been almost two weeks with numerous daily sessions on my laptop and the problem is solved. It is completely stable. Admittedly it now means I don't use the sleep function and have set all power features (power off and lid closing etc) to hibernate but it only takes a few seconds more for it to resume from this state. It therefore was not the CMOS battery and I assume a BIOS update would fix it but I am very happy with it the way it is. So thanks again to those that helped. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users