Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fed Up With Spam

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flamtech

flamtech

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

I am so fed up with spam to my email that I have decided to close the affected email account. How long must this account be closed so that it doesn’t appear anymore on the spammers lists?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

You're dreaming if you think that will work. Spammers don't care. It's a numbers game for them. What are you using for email?

#3 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

By "close the affected email account", do you mean cancelling the account completely and making a new one?

How long must this account be closed so that it doesn’t appear anymore on the spammers lists?

Spammers send to millions of addresses whether they are valid or not. So, it doesn't really make a difference how long you have your account 'closed'. It's likely that it will remain on their list. Remember that these addresses are usually shared and sold to 3rd parties, so you might actually be on the list of multiple spammers.

You shouldn't reply to or click any links in the spam e-mail. Others would go as far as not opening the spam e-mail at all. That's because doing either of these will alert the spammers that the account is 'active', and hence, more spam.

Also, you should never publish your e-mail address online, i.e. where it is visible on the webpage, for example on forums. Giving e-mails to 'bad' websites for registrations is also another cause of spam. You should only supply the e-mail to reputable websites. Or alternatively you can create a throw-away address where you only use for registrations etc, and have a separate e-mail for other important stuff.

Another cause of spam is through e-mail forwarding where family members or friends may forward you a chain e-mail in which all the FORWARDED TO addresses are visible to everyone... thus, there's a chance it will reach a spammer... and the spam starts...

However, if you manage to avoid the above, and use a filter program, perhaps you'll be safe from spam... BUT not completely. The occassional one or two might still reach your inbox.

Edited by Juha, 20 May 2008 - 11:06 AM.

#4 flamtech

flamtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

You're dreaming if you think that will work. Spammers don't care. It's a numbers game for them. What are you using for email?

I have my own domain with more than enough email addresses.

#5 flamtech

flamtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

Hi,

By "close the affected email account", do you mean cancelling the account completely and making a new one?

Yes, I have already created a new email account and started to use it, and a new acc for each forum, so if one get in the wrong hands I can just cancell it. :thumbsup:

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

One other note...

The are also "bots" that crawl the web and harvest e-mail address. At BC, moderators scan for e-mail addresses placed in topics. We delete those and leave a note warning against its use. We also do not allow e-mail addresses to be used as member names. It's all to help with spam prevention.

But, as stated above, I don't believe there will ever be a 100% filter of spam. To bad we can't charge for "junk usage" to our accounts.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

I use http://www.mailwasher.net/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

I have my own domain with more than enough email addresses.

If you host with a provider and access your site through Cpanel I strongly
recommend setting up SpamAssassin.

More info on how your mail is routed could provide some better solutions.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users