Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Introducing Myself

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThisSportingLife

ThisSportingLife

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:35 AM

I've just joined this website. Despite being a middle-aged bloke, I was thinking about giving myself a name like 'Sarah1983' so that I'd have an excuse for being rubbish with computers and maybe the guys would want to help me. However, honesty got the better of me in the end.

Anyway, hope there are a few people here who don't mind helping someone who doesn't know what a TCP port is. (Did I once see one on Star Trek?)

Cheers,

K

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

I would venture to guess that more people than you think, both men and women, do not know what a TCP port is, and unless it comes up as a problem, probably don't NEED to know. BC is the place to ask questions like that, and learn what you need to learn for a particular purpose from other Members.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ThisSportingLife

ThisSportingLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome. Actually, I just picked 'TCP port' at random. I could have chosen almost anything to do with computers since my lack of knowledge concerning any IT topic is pretty much encyclopaedic. And my guess at how many people don't actually know about TCP ports would be somewhere in excess 7 billion so don't worry, I wasn't beating myself up over it.

Again, thanks for the welcome and I'm really hoping to learn something here.

K

p.s. Is that Friedrich Nietsche that you have as your avatar? The "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent" certainly sounds like Nietsche, or at least like someone who wasn't that much fun to be around. Anyway, interesting choice. Any reason?

My own favourite grandiose quote would be, "We live as we dream - alone." Like to guess who it's from, or do you know already?

Edited by ThisSportingLife, 22 May 2008 - 08:46 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

There is certainly a wealth of knowledge, both of a general and of a specific kind, here at BC, and you can get as technically proficient as you choose, or just settle for a more generalised knowledge.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users