Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network And Sharing Center

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:14 AM

Hello everyone

I am back again. But with a question on the Network and Sharing Center in Windows Vista. I opened the Network and Sharing Center. Then I clicked on Manage Network Connections. Then I right clicked on the one that was active and then clicked on the properties section. Then, I went through and looked at everything, to see what was there and what was activated! When I got to the Security section, I has the following Security options available: Typical (recommended settings) and Advanced (custom settings). I clicked to activate Advanced and then clicked the settings button.

That brought up a window showing 2 sections: Data encryption and Logon security.
Under the Data encryption there are several options. They are: No encryption allowed (server will disconnect if it requires encryption), Optional encryption (connect even if no encryption), Require encryption (disconnect if server declines), and Maximun strength encryption (disconnect if server declines). The one that is selected is: Optional encryption.

Under logon security there are 2 options. They are: Use Extensible Authentication Protocal and Allow these protocals.
There are 2 options under Use Extensible Authentication Protocals. They are: Protected EAP (PEAP) (encryption anabled) and Smart Card or other certificate (encryption enabled). Smart Card or other certificate (encryption enabled) is checked!

When I checked the properties there another window popped up. Titled: "Smart Card or other Certificate Properties". THere are 2 main boxes. They are: "When connecting" and "Validate server certificate".

In the "when connecting" box, There are 2 options. THey are: Use my Smart Card and Use a certificate on this computer, with: Use simple certificate selection (recommended) underneath. Use my Smart Card is checked.

THe box Validate server certificate is cheked. Below that is "connect to these servers" and a box. That is unchecked and the box is blank. Then below that is a list of Trusted Root Certification Authorities. THey are all checked. I did it. THen below that is: "Use a different user name for the connection." and "Do not prompt user to autherize new servers or trusted certification authorities." THose two are left uncheked.

Now my questions are: Are these settings safe? Should I have changed them? Will this make my computer safer? Will this slow it down? etc. etc. etc.

Of course I have other ?'s but It would make it too long to list here! I hope I did not foul up my computer by making those changes!

Please, anyone who can let me know what I did or what the changes will do or what those things do, Tell me!

Matt "Groffeaston"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hello everyone

I guess there are not that many of you out there, that can answer the questions I have in my post here! Either that or I did not make it clear enough for everyone, as I sometimes usually do! :thumbsup: :flowers:

If anyone needs me to clarify, please let me know. Or if there is any other information you might need, that would help you answer my questions.

I am not sure if this was the right spot to post the topic either.

Matt "Groffeaston"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users