Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"windows Could Not Start Because The Following File Is Missing Or Corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system" On Gigabyte Mobo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spaceship9

spaceship9

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

OS - XP Pro Retail SP2 (disk is OK)
Hardware
-Sata disk
-GA-MA69VM-S2 Gigabyte motherboard

Issue:
XP doesn't install on the motherboard. Got it to work when I made the Floppy disk with the drivers on another PC that worked and set XP to use those SATA/RAID drivers
Crashes about 30% through
Managed to install XP Pro on the disk on a different PC, and swapped the SATA hard drive back into the original system. XP boots
Problem is I still need to install the drivers for the integrated video, and pretty much everything else on the motherboard except the SATA controller
I run the included Gigabyte series, it appears to work fine, however after installing the South Bridge chipset and restarting, I get the Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM error
FIXMBR, FIXBOOT an repairing the boot ini all fails
so does:
http://swatrant.blogspot.com/2005/11/windo...because_17.html
and microsoft's more "full" way of the above.

Actually to clarify: The latter link does get XP back into a functional state, but without the required drivers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

This error means that Windows was not able to load the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM registry hive. It does this early in the boot process in order to initialize many Windows functions (the rest of the registry loads much later in the boot process).

The reasons for this are many, but the clue here (IMO) is that you installed the OS on another system. Windows has setup that disk to use the hardware in the other system - and it's balking at all the hardware changes that it sees (along with the different security descriptors that are generated in each system). This is likely to be the cause of the failure to load the registry hive error that you mention.

The best thing to do (again IMO) is to put the disk back in the system that you installed it on and boot it up. Then uninstall all the hardware devices (other than the motherboard and CPU) that you can. DO NOT RESTART!!! Once everything is uninstalled, shutdown the system and then remove the hard drive.

Put the hard drive in the new system and boot directly to the CD with the XP installation files on it (ensure that you do not boot to the hard drive as this will start the process that we're trying to avoid) and perform a repair install ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) Presuming that there are no hardware issues, this will enable the new system to boot successfully.

More info here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Edited by usasma, 20 May 2008 - 06:43 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

If you read the post, that's exactly what I did :thumbsup:

Installed XP on the other system, and when I moved the hard drive to the original system, XP succesfully booted. Then I installed all the drivers on the other system and it failed. Dunno what the driver that causes the fail is though, I'm pretty sure it's the South Bridge chipset drivers.
Also note I can't do a repair install as the original system can't successfully copy over files and gets "corrupt files" half way through (even though the CD installs fine in both vmware and on a test PC)

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

I did read your post - and it didn't describe the steps that I suggested.
Have no fear tho' - I won't bother you again with my inept postings.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 spaceship9

spaceship9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

baahhh even Microsoft doesn't help, I keep getting different people who tell me the exact same thing over and over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users