Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Disconnects

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chippie

chippie

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:00 PM

Hi I hope some one can help, I have an Alcatel speed touch modem with orange broadband, 2 Mbps download speed. It seems after a while, maybe 30 minutes or so the modem just disconnects. The green lights are still on and the computer shows it is connected but I just get a 'can't find the server at....' message.
If I double click the modem short cut and disconnect then re-connect it will go back on most of the time but it is getting very frustrating as I can't leave it open for updates and such.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

Do both the green lights stay solid? (both ADSL and USB)

If so the sync appears to be OK as if not the ADSL light would start flashing green.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the modem? Check all cables and connections, no frayed wires where it goes into the modem etc (basic diagnostics)

Edited by Emu1616, 20 May 2008 - 11:18 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 chippie

chippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

Hi Steve, yes i've tried all the obvious things, it seems to work in the morning but not as the day goes on. Last night I turned it off and I got a window pop up saying 'other computers are using this connection if you continue they will lose any unsaved data, do you want to continue yes/no'
That can't be right can it, i'm the only one connected.

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:53 AM

Have long has this been going on? And have you tried using another modem to connect with? Because I think there is a problem with the modem's software or hardware. Have you tired a master reset on the modem?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

Unless your running a network with more than one computer then i dont see why you would be getting that message tbh. you dont have wireless on your PC thats enable and unsecured do ya? (just a possibility)

Try and get hold of another modem, if your having connection issues on an afternoon/evening it may be time to phone Orange Tech Support

BTW, what speed do you normally get running around the time of the disconnections, try doing a couple of speedtest and post back
~ E-Mu ~

#6 chippie

chippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

Hi, I have just bought a new ethernet modem and that seems to have done the trick, I'm not phoning Orange tech support at 50-75p per minute, I might be on the phone an hour, it's cheaper to buy a new modem. Thanks for your help.

#7 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

My thory was correct. Excellent. No worries.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#8 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

Glad you got it sorted, i know why your not wanting to phone the tech team lol, looks like just a modem issue but they'd of gone through all sorts to figure that out
~ E-Mu ~

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

Is this the Home or Pro model Speedtouch?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users